Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

How to subtract 2/3 -6/4

Customer Question
how to subtract 2/3 -6/4
Submitted: 4 months ago.Category: Math Homework
11/27/2017
Math Tutor or Teacher: Ryan, Engineer replied 4 months ago
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer

Thank you for using the site. I'll be happy to help you with this.

You are on the right track by finding the least common denominator of 3 and 4, which is 12, and your conversions are correct.

The next step is to combine the numerators, resulting in a single fraction:

8/12 - 18/12 = (8 - 18) / 12

Simplifying 8 - 18 gives -10, so the equivalent fraction is:

(8 - 18) / 12 = -10/12

And this can then be simplified by canceling a factor of 2 from both the numerator and the denominator:

-10/12 = (-5 * 2) / (6 * 2) = -5/6

Note that the second fraction, 6/4, could have been simplified to 3/2. The answer would turn out the same, but you would have been able to use a least common denominator of 6 instead of 12.

Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about this solution.

Thanks,

Ryan

Ryan
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer