Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

A 7.5 kg block is placed on a table. Its bottom surface area…

Customer Question
A 7.5 kg block is...
A 7.5 kg block is placed on a table. Its bottom surface area is 0.6m^2. How much pressure does the block exert on the tabletop?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Math Homework
9/19/2017
Math Tutor or Teacher: Ryan, Engineer replied 11 months ago
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Hi,Thank you for using the site. I'll be happy to help you with this problem.The force exerted on the table is mg, where m is the mass of the block (7.5 kg), and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s^2).The pressure exerted is equal to the force, divided by the area:P = mg/A = (7.5 kg * 9.81 m/s^2) / 0.6 m^2 = 122.625 N/m^2Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about this solution.Thanks,Ryan

Hi again,

I wasn't able to see your comment about having obtained an answer of 122.5 when I was posting the initial answer. It didn't show up on my phone.

I suspect that you used 9.8 for g, instead of the 9.81 value that I used. This is common, and perfectly acceptable. Your answer is just as correct as mine.

Thanks again,

Ryan