Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

A 7.5 kg block is placed on a table. Its bottom surface area…

Customer Question
A 7.5 kg block is...
A 7.5 kg block is placed on a table. Its bottom surface area is 0.6m^2. How much pressure does the block exert on the tabletop?
Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Math Homework
9/19/2017
Math Tutor or Teacher: Ryan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer
Hi,Thank you for using the site. I'll be happy to help you with this problem.The force exerted on the table is mg, where m is the mass of the block (7.5 kg), and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s^2).The pressure exerted is equal to the force, divided by the area:P = mg/A = (7.5 kg * 9.81 m/s^2) / 0.6 m^2 = 122.625 N/m^2Please feel free to ask if you have any questions about this solution.Thanks,Ryan

Hi again,

I wasn't able to see your comment about having obtained an answer of 122.5 when I was posting the initial answer. It didn't show up on my phone.

I suspect that you used 9.8 for g, instead of the 9.81 value that I used. This is common, and perfectly acceptable. Your answer is just as correct as mine.

Thanks again,

Ryan

Ryan
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer