Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

I have a linear project due this Sunday for my math class,

Customer Question
Hi, I have a...

Hi, I have a linear project due this Sunday for my math class, and I am inquiring if I can get some assistance.

Tutor's Assistant: The Math Tutor can help you get an A on your homework or ace your next test. Tell me more about what you need help with so we can help you best.

I have to submit a linear project for my class this Sunday. To be honest I have no clue how to do this project.

Tutor's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Math Tutor should know?

Not right know, I just need help with this project, i want to get a good grade on it.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Math Homework
9/18/2017
Math Tutor or Teacher: Ryan, Engineer replied 8 months ago
Ryan
Ryan, Engineer

Thank you for using the site. Please post the details of the project at your convenience.

Thanks,

Ryan

You may submit all of your project in one document or a combination of documents, which may consist of word processing documents or spreadsheets or scanned handwritten work, provided it is clearly labeled where each task can be found. Be sure to include your name. Projects are graded on the basis of completeness, correctness, ease in locating all of the items, and strength of the narrative portions.Curve-fitting Project - Linear Model (due at the end of Week 5)InstructionsFor this assignment, collect data exhibiting a relatively linear trend, find the line of best fit, plot the data and the line, interpret the slope, and use the linear equation to make a prediction. Also, find r2 (coefficient of determination) and r (correlation coefficient). Discuss your findings. Your topic may be that is related to sports, your work, a hobby, or something you find interesting. If you choose, you may use the suggestions described below.A Linear Model Example and Technology Tips are provided in separate documents.Tasks for Linear Regression Model (LR)(LR-1) Describe your topic, provide your data, and cite your source. Collect at least 8 data points. Label appropriately. (Highly recommended: Post this information in the Linear Model Project discussion as well as in your completed project. Include a brief informative description in the title of your posting. Each student must use different data.)
The idea with the discussion posting is two-fold: (1) To share your interesting project idea with your classmates, and (2) To give me a chance to give you a brief thumbs-up or thumbs-down about your proposed topic and data. Sometimes students get off on the wrong foot or misunderstand the intent of the project, and your posting provides an opportunity for some feedback. Remark: Students may choose similar topics, but must have different data sets. For example, several students may be interested in a particular Olympic sport, and that is fine, but they must collect different data, perhaps from different events or different gender.(LR-2) Plot the points (x, y) to obtain a scatterplot. Use an appropriate scale on the horizontal and vertical axes and be sure to label carefully. Visually judge whether the data points exhibit a relatively linear trend. (If so, proceed. If not, try a different topic or data set.)(LR-3) Find the line of best fit (regression line) and graph it on the scatterplot. State the equation of the line.(LR-4) State the slope of the line of best fit. Carefully interpret the meaning of the slope in a sentence or two.(LR-5) Find and state the value of r2, the coefficient of determination, and r, the correlation coefficient. Discuss your findings in a few sentences. Is r positive or negative? Why? Is a line a good curve to fit to this data? Why or why not? Is the linear relationship very strong, moderately strong, weak, or nonexistent?(LR-6) Choose a value of interest and use the line of best fit to make an estimate or prediction. Show calculation work.(LR-7) Write a brief narrative of a paragraph or two. Summarize your findings and be sure to mention any aspect of the linear model project (topic, data, scatterplot, line, r, or estimate, etc.) that you found particularly important or interesting.You may submit all of your project in one document or a combination of documents, which may consist of word processing documents or spreadsheets or scanned handwritten work, provided it is clearly labeled where each task can be found. Be sure to include your name. Projects are graded on the basis of completeness, correctness, ease in locating all of the checklist items, and strength of the narrative portions.To complete the Linear Model portion of the project, you will need to use technology (or hand-drawing) to create a scatterplot, find the regression line, plot the regression line, and find r and r2.Below are some options, together with some videos. Each video is limited to 5 minutes or less. It takes a bit of time for the video to initially download. When playing the video, if you want to slow it down to read the text, hit the pause icon. (If you run the mouse over the bottom of the video screen, the video controls will appear.) You may need to adjust the volume.The basic options are to:(1) Generate by hand and scan.(2) Use Microsoft Excel.Visit Scatterplot - Start (VIDEO) to see how to create a scatter plot using Microsoft Excel and format the axes.Visit Scatterplot - Regression Line (VIDEO) to see how to add labels and title to the scatterplot, how to generate and graph the line of best fit (regression) and obtain the value of r2 in Microsoft Excel.Using Excel to obtain precise values of slope m and y-intercept b of the regression line: Video, Spreadsheet(3) Use Open Office.(4) Use a hand-held graphing calculator (See section 2.5 in your textbook for help with Texas Instruments hand-held calculators.)(5) Use a free online tool(5A) Use the

Thank you for that information. I have worked on this project several times. My usual preference is to use data from the Olympic.org site, as it is easy to obtain and is usually sufficiently linear for the purposes of this project. Is there any particular event that you would be interested in?

Ryan

Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White
Mr. Gregory White, Master's Degree