Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

hi i have 21 blood samples. each sample was cultured with…

hi i have 21 blood samples...
hi
i have 21 blood samples. each sample was cultured with a high dose substance, a low dose substance, and a control substance. results were given as percentage cell activation out of all cells in population. i want to compare mean hd activation vs. mean ld activation vs. mean control activation. what is the best statistical analysis to use.
thanks, graham
7/13/2010
mlamias
mlamias, Bachelor's Degree

Hi,Customer

I would approach this problem using a balanced Analysis of Variance, also known as ANOVA. Most statistical software can do these tests for you and the tests are also easy enough to do by hand. The ANOVA test will actuall tell you if the average percentage cell activation is the same in all groups or different between at least two groups. If a difference is found using this statistical test, you can determine exactly which groups are different by performing what are called mutliple comparison tests. Good choices for this test are the LSD (least significant difference) method and Tukey's tests.

mlamias
mlamias, Bachelor's Degree

is it possible to use the wilcoxon matched pairs test, comparing hd vs. control and ld vs. control? this matching and pairing business is confusing me.

graham

I would not use the wilcoxon matched pairs test here because you are making multiple comparisons (among hd, control, and ld). Instead, you should use a procedure like Friedman's ANOVA. This will simultaneous test the differences of hd, ld, and the control. If you find a signficant difference, that means you have evidence that at least one of the populations is different. Then you would run a multiple comparison test using the Wilcoxon signed rank test, but you would run the test with Fisher's or Bonferroni's method to prevent inflation of the Type I error rate, inherent in multiple comparisons. Most nonparametric texts books should provide good examples of Friedman's ANOVA and the Bonferroni methods.

Before you do this, let me check one thing -- I believe this particular test may not be appropriate for your data. I'll have to verify with a few reference books I have. I'll get back to you shortly. By the way, why did you decide to use a nonparametric test?

I hope this helps.

Edited by Tyler Damon on 7/14/2010 at 7:34 PM EST

I just confirmed that yes you could use this test for your particular data.