Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

Find a possible formula for f(x) whose graph is illustrated…

Customer Question
Find a possible formula for...
Find a possible formula for f(x) whose graph is illustrated above by using a shift of either x2 or x3. Hint: Point A has coordinates (-2,2)
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Math Homework
7/13/2010
Math Tutor or Teacher: Chirag, Master's Degree replied 8 years ago
Chirag
Chirag, Master's Degree
Can you upload the graph?
ok...

The answer can be given in terms of "f". Is that what you are looking for?

Also, by x2 I think you mean a shift of 2 units to thr right, correct?

chirag, i have put in the question content for u....i need the answer in terms of f(x)

Under x2 (meaning a shift of 2 units to the right), the new function will be

g(x) = f(x - 2)

Under x3 (meaning a shift of 3 units to the right), the new function will be

h(x) = f(x - 3)

Thanks.

its not correct, i need the answer only for f(x) value.

There can't be a value fo f(x).

The question that you asked meant "What would be the new function (in terms of the given function) if the graph underwent a shift given by x2 or x3 ?"

The answer I have given is correct for this question.

ok....leave this cause my test is showing incorrect.

do this one than for me..

The monthly charge for a waste collection service is 46 dollars for 100 kg of waste and 110 dollars for 180 kg of waste.

(a) Find a linear model for the cost, C, of waste collection as a function of the number of kilograms, w.

C=

(b) What is the slope of the line found in part (a)?

Slope=

Think about the interpretation of the slope: are the units of the slope

A. kilograms per dollar
B. dollars per kilogram
C. dollars
D. kilograms

(c) What is the value of the vertical intercept of the line found in part (a)?

Value=

Think about the interpretation of the intercept: are the units of the intercept

A. kilograms
B. dollars
C. kilograms per dollar
D. dollars per kilogram
jsMath.wwProcess()

(a) m = (y2 - y1)/(x2 - x1) = (110 - 46)/(180 - 100) = 0.8

The linear function is given by y- y1 = m(x - x1)

y - 46 = 0.8(x - 100)

y = 0.8x - 80 + 46

y = 0.8x - 34

The function is C(w) = 0.8w - 34

(b) Slope, m = 0.8

B- Dollars per kilogram

(c) The vertical intercept is b = -34

(d) B- Dollars

Thanks.

Chirag
Chirag, Master's Degree
have one more...really appreciate your help.

A town has a population of 1800 people at time t=0. In each of the following cases, write a formula for the population P, of the town as a function of year t.

(a) The population increases by 60 people per year.
P= people

(b) The population increases by 2 percent a year.
P= people jsMath.wwProcess()

Please accept the previous one and then we can proceed? Thanks.

just accepted it.

(a) Here, we apply the linear model

The answer is P = 60t + 1800

(b) Here, we apply the exponential model (like bank deposits)

P = 1800(1 + 2/100)^t

The answer is P = 1800 (1.02)^t

Thanks.

Give the domain and range (to the nearest half integer) of the illustrated function.

Domain: [ , ]
Range: [ , ]

jsMath.wwProcess()

Domain is [3.5, 7.5]

Range is [2, 8.5]

Thanks.