Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

#23 Calculate the correlation coefficent r, letting row 1 represent…

Customer Question
#23 Calculate the correlation coefficent...
#23 Calculate the correlation coefficent r, letting row 1 represent the x-value and row 2 the Y value. Then calculate it again letting row 2 represent the x value and row 1 the y balues what effect does switching the variable have on R?
Row 1= 14 27 38 43 59 68 76
Riw 2= 170 107 170 126 145 132 157

Calculate the correlation coefficent r letting row 1 represent the x values and row 2 the y value
r=

calculate the correlation coefficent r, letting row 2 represent the x-value and row 1 the y value r=
What effect does switching the variable have on the correlation coefficent?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Math Homework
7/12/2010
Math Tutor or Teacher: Chirag, Master's Degree replied 8 years ago
Chirag
Chirag, Master's Degree

Hi

Click here for the solution file

Thanks.

I am having a hard tome downloading the solution can you please just cut and past it in the reply box

We calculate the correlation coefficient in both the cases using excel CORREL

function.

xyxy
1417017014
2710710727
3817017038
4312612643
5914514559
6813213268
7615715776
R = -0.04516R = -0.04516

We notice that the correlation coefficient remains unchanged when we

interchange the variables x and y.

Chirag
Chirag, Master's Degree

#21

In recent year scores on a standardized test for high school students with a 3.50 to 4.00 grade point average were nomally distrubuted with a mean of 37.5 and a standard diviation of 2.3 A student with a 3.50 to 4.00 gpa average who took the standardized test is randomly selected.

Find the probability that the students test score is less than 34___

The probabiltity of a student scoring between 34.6 and 40.4 is ___

The probability of a student scoring more than 39.0 is___

Can you please accept the previous one and then we proceed?

mu = 37.5, sigma = 2.3

(a) x = 34

z = (x - mu)/sigma = (34 - 37.5)/2.3 = -1.5217

P(x < 34) = P(z < -1.5217) = 0.064

(b) x1 = 34.6 and x2 = 40.4

z1 = (x1 - mu)/sigma = (34.6 - 37.5)/2.3 = -1.261

z2 == (x2 - mu)/sigma = (40.4 - 37.5)/2.3 = 1.261

P(34.6 < x < 40.4) = P(-1.261 < z < 1.261) = 0.7926

(c) x = 39

z = (x - mu)/sigma = (39 - 37.5)/2.3 = 0.6522

P(x > 39) = P(z > 0.6522) = 0.2571.

Please accept if you are satisfied with the response. Thanks.