Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

Susan Athena Can you respond to these 1.Sometimes teachers…

Customer Question
Susan Athena: Can you respond...
Susan Athena: Can you respond to these?
1.Sometimes teachers get tired of answering the same question over and over again. I think kids asked me "When we will use this stuff" almost every day. It's a rhetorical question--there are several responses, but not one correct response. How do you respond to rhetorical questions? Anyone may offer suggestions?

2.It's very important that schools follow the rules, otherwise, they may lose their accreditation. Did you hear about the high school in Rhode Island where are all the teachers were fired when the kids didn't do well on their standardized tests? Most of the teachers were hired back, but no one wants to lose their job. In FL, they are ready to pass a bill that says that schools that do not achieve a high grade will lose their funding unless they fire the principal. This doesn't seem fair to me. I taught high school and I know some kids don't care about the tests. After a certain age, it's difficult to motivate kids to do well. Any thoughts anyone?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Math Homework
7/9/2010
Math Tutor or Teacher: SusanAthena, Master's Degree replied 8 years ago
SusanAthena
SusanAthena, Master's Degree
Hi. Thanks so much for requesting me. Are these discussion questions? How long an answer do you need?

Kind regards,
Susan
Sorry about that. Yes they are discusion questions. In over 50 words for each would be good.
Hi. Your answer is below.

I know you like your answers on a link, but as of yesterday, JA prohibits me from using mediafire or similar sites. Please contact JA customer service if you have any questions about that policy.

Kind regards,
Susan

Real questions and rhetorical questions are sometimes hard to distinguish from one another. Real questions address student concerns. For example 'when will we use this stuff' could easily be a real question, showing student frustration with topics that seem overly abstract, theoretical, and academic. But it can also be a rhetorical question, designed to distract the teacher, waste time, and divert attention from the work of the class. A quick answer can be given ("algebra is used in almost every scientific discipline as well as in business"). If the student wants a more in-depth answer, they can be directed to see the teacher after class. If the teacher is certain that the question is a diversion, then a pat or humorous answer might be in order ("That's an excellent question. (pause). Now, moving right along ..."). The most important thing is for the teacher not to get dragged into a debate about the relevance of the subject, school policies, etc, since those topics are not the business of the class.

It doesn't seem right. After all, standardized tests are based on a bell curve! Some students will do well, others will do poorly. Schools in poorer districts will generally not achieve as well on standardized tests as schools in more well-off districts. Students in those districts are already disadvantaged by poor nutrition, poor family support, possibly little respect for the educational process, and less to look forward to financially regardless of how well they do in their educations. Shaking up the school by creating a culture of fear in teachers and administrators is not the way to proceed. In addition, this leads to the education likely becoming worse as teachers 'teach to the test' rather than focusing on applications and other kinds of learning opportunities.
SusanAthena
SusanAthena, Master's Degree
Thank you.