Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

consider the relation y + - square root of x.

Customer Question
consider the relation y=+ -...
consider the relation y=+ - square root of x.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Math Homework
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/29/2010
Math Tutor or Teacher: rajeevanpillai, Master's Degree replied 8 years ago
rajeevanpillai
rajeevanpillai, Master's Degree
-Could you explain your situation a little more?

I need to be able to use the Vertical line test to determine whether or not this relation describes a function. The problem states : consider the relation: y=+/- square root of x.

y = ± √x is not a function.
It is only a relation.

For a function, there is one and only one value of y corresponding to every value of x.

For the above relation, put x = 4, then we have 2 different values of y. That is +√4 = 2 and -√4 = -2

So this is not a function.

Remember that for a function there should be one and only one value of y corresponding to each and every value x.

Let me see if you have any questions.

Please click ACCEPT if I have helped you.
So how would this look on a graph?
Click here

The graph is drawn in excel. It has two branches.
So it is not a function.