Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

Solve the following word problem using two variables and two…

Customer Question
Solve the following word problem...
Solve the following word problem using two variables and two equations.

How many pounds of hamburger worth $1.05 per pound must be mixed with 60 pounds of hamburger worth $0.90 per pound to produce hamburger worth $1.00 per pound?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Math Homework
6/26/2010
Math Tutor or Teacher: abozer,
 replied 8 years ago
abozer

Let x be the amount of $1.05 per pound hamburger and y be the amount of $0.90 per pound hamburger,

1.05x + 0.90y = 1.00(60)
x + y = 60

Multiply the second equation by -0.90,

1.05x + 0.90y = 1.00(60)
-0.90x - 0.90y = -0.90(60)

Add the two equations side by side,

0.15x = 0.10(60)
x = 40

Now substitute x = 40 in the second equation to get y,

(40) + y = 60
y = 20

So the amount of $1.05 per pound hamburger is 40 pounds and the amount of $0.90 per pound hamburger is 20 pounds.
abozer
Math Tutor or Teacher: abozer,
 replied 8 years ago
Let x be the amount of $1.05 per pound hamburger and y be the amount of $1.00 per pound hamburger,

1.05x + 0.90(60) = 1.00y
x + 60 = y

Substitute the second equation in the first one,

1.05x + 0.90(60) = 1.00(x + 60)
1.05x + 54 = x + 60
0.05x = 6
x = 120

(120) + 60 = y
y = 180

So the amount of $1.05 per pound hamburger is 120 pounds and the total amount of $1.00 per pound hamburger is 180 pounds.