Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

Compute the standardized test statistic, x2, to test the claim…

Customer Question
Compute the standardized test statistic...
Compute the standardized test statistic, x2, to test the claim: The known population s.d. less than or equal to 3.2 if n=20, s2=6.2, and a confindence level of 0.01
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Math Homework
6/25/2010
Math Tutor or Teacher: rajeevanpillai, Master's Degree replied 8 years ago
rajeevanpillai
rajeevanpillai, Master's Degree
Null hypothesis H0: σ ≤ 3.2
Alternative hypothesis: σ > 3.2
n = 20
s^2 = 6.2

(n-1)*s^2 19*6.2 117.8
test statistic = Χ^2 = -------------- = -------------- = -------------- = 11.504
σ0^2 3.2^2 10.24

α = 0.01
Critical value of X^2 with 19 degrees of freedom = 36.191

The computed value of chi-square does not exceed the critical value.

So sufficient evidence is not available to reject the null hypothesis.

Conclusion: the claim cannot be rejected.
The population standard deviation is less than or equal to 3.2

Click ACCEPT if I have helped you.
Bonus and Positive feedback are appreciated.

I have a multiple choice answer of 36.813...which seems close to your critical value.

I will actually list all answers:

9.322

12.82

36.813

33.41

Can you please help me further...I want to be sure.

Can you answer more questions for me? I am not sure if you have an answer for the 1st one already?

Math Tutor or Teacher: Stevewh, Bachelor's Degree replied 8 years ago
Stevewh
Stevewh, Bachelor's Degree

H0: σ^2≤3.2
Ha: σ^2>3.2

Test-statistic = (n-1)s^2/σ^2 = 19(6.2)/3.2=36.813

Answer: 36.813 (3rd option)

Bonus is appreciated

Thanks

Steve
Stevewh
Stevewh, Bachelor's Degree