Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

1. Find the future value of the following ordinary annuity,

Customer Question
if payments are made and...
1. Find the future value of the following ordinary annuity, if payments are made and interest is compounded as given.
R=4600;8.73% interest compounded quarterly for 9 years

2. Find the future value of the following annuity due.
$1500 deposited at the beginning of each semiannual period for 11 years at 5.6% compounded semiannually
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Math Homework
6/23/2010
Math Tutor or Teacher: jimedc,
 replied 8 years ago
jimedc

1. I assume you mean there are payments of 4600 and the interest per quarter is 8.73% divided by 4 or 2.1825%.

The future value after 9 years or 36 periods with payments at the end of the period would be

4600(1 + r +r^2 ...+ r^35) or 4600(r^36 - 1)/(r-1) where r = 1+0.021825 = 1.021825.

This gives us 4600 times 53.825928 = 247 752.70 to the nearest hundredths. This is what such a series of payments invested at 8.73% compounded quarterly would be worth in 9 years. This compares to 4600 times 36 = 165 600 which would be the actually amount of money paid out.

2. 5.6% compounded twice a year would be 2.6% per period--and 11 years means 22 periods. With deposits made at the beginning of each period we get

1500(r + r^2 + ..+r^22) where r = 1 + 0.028 = 1.028

Factoring out an r we get 1500r(1+ r + r^2 +...+ r^21) = 1500r(r^22 - 1)/(r-1).

Given r = 1.028 this becomes 1500(1.028)(1.028^22 - 1)/0.028 or

1500 times 1.028 times 29.8535 = $ 46 034.09 where I am only writing the dollar sign at the last step.

Edited by Jim C on 6/23/2010 at 10:28 PM EST