Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

A PC manufacturer claims that no more than 2% of their machines…

Customer Question
A PC manufacturer claims that...
A PC manufacturer claims that no more than 2% of their machines are defective. In a random sample of 100 machines, it is found that 5% are defective. The manufacturer claims this is a fluke of the sample. At a .01 level of significance, test the manufacture’s claim. Please explain your answer.

MegaStat Output
Hypothesis test for proportion vs. hypothesized value

Observed Hypothesized

0.05 0.02 p (as decimal)

5/100 2/100 p (as fraction)

5 2 X

100 100 n

0.014 standard error

2.14 z

.0161 p-value (one-tailed, upper
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Math Homework
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/18/2010
Math Tutor or Teacher: abozer,
 replied 8 years ago
abozer

Ho: p ≤ 0.02
Ha: p > 0.02

test statistic = 2.14

p-value = .0161

We cannot reject the null hypothesis because the p-value is greater than the significance level.

We don't have sufficient evidence to conclude that more than 2% of their machines are defective.