Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

A drug manufacturer wants to estimate the mean heart rate for…

Customer Question
A drug manufacturer wants to...
A drug manufacturer wants to estimate the mean heart rate for patients with a certain heart condition. Because the condition is rare, the manufacturer can only find 15 people with the condition currently untreated. From this small sample, the mean heart rate is 92 beats per minute with a standard deviation of 8.
(a) Find a 98% confidence interval for the true mean heart rate of all people with this untreated condition. Show your calculations and/or explain the process used to obtain the interval.
(b) Interpret this confidence interval and write a sentence that explains it
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Math Homework
6/17/2010
Math Tutor or Teacher: rajeevanpillai, Master's Degree replied 8 years ago
rajeevanpillai
rajeevanpillai, Master's Degree
n = 15
xbar = 92
s = 8
degrees of freedom = n-1 = 15-1 = 14
1-α = 98% = 0.98
α = 1-0.98 = 0.02
α/2 = 0.02/2 = 0.01
t(0.01,14) = 0.6245

t(0.01,14) * s/sqrt(n) = 2.6245 * 8 / sqrt(15) = 5.4211

The 98% confidence limits are
xbar ± t(0.01,14) * s/sqrt(n) = 92 ± 5.4211 = 86.5789, 97.4211

The 98% confidence interval for the population mean μ is (86.579, 97.421)

Please click Accept if I have helped you.
Bonus and Positive feedback are appreciated.