Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

1.How many different ways are there for an admissions officer…

Customer Question
1.How many different ways are...
1.How many different ways are there for an admissions officer to select a group of 6 college candidates from a group of 14 applicants for an interview? 2.
According to the U. S. Census Bureau, the total 2008 U.S. population was 303,824,640. The chart below summarizes the 2008 population for five U.S. States.
U. S. State
2008 Population
Alaska
686,293
California
36,756,666
Hawaii
1,288,198
Idaho
1,523,816
Indiana
6,376,792
SOURCE: U. S. Census Bureau
What is the probability that a randomly selected U.S. resident did not live in Alaska? Show step by step work. Round solution to the nearest thousandth
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Math Homework
6/15/2010
Math Tutor or Teacher: Ray Atkinson, Bachelor's Degree replied 8 years ago
Ray Atkinson
Ray Atkinson, Bachelor's Degree
#1 is a straightforward application of combinations. Choosing 6 out of 14 is (14! / (6! * 8!)) = 87178291200 / (720*40320) = 87178291300 / 29030400 = 3003. There are 3003 ways to choose 6 out of 14.

For #2, I am going to assume that the question is assuming that the randomly selected person is from one of those five states. The total population of those five states is 46631765 and the population of Alaska is 686293, so the rest are 45945472. This means that the chance that a person randomly selected from those five states has a 45945472/46631765= 0.985, or 98.5% chance of not being from Alaska.