Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

A distribution has a positive skew, calculated at +1.0. Estimate…

Customer Question
A distribution has a positive...
A distribution has a positive skew, calculated at +1.0. Estimate the size of the standard error of skewness.
A. >0.5
B. <0.5
C. About 2.0
D. None of the above

An environmental group wants to do a study that would demonstrate with a 99% certainty the the percentage of a certain kind of tree has declined from a known population. The variable under study is the number of this kind of tree acre. They also want to minimize costs by sampling trees from only a few acres. You consult with them before they do the study. WHat is your best advice?

A. They should use the t table for small samples
B. They should use the 99% confidence interval
C. With a small tree sample and a high confidence interval they are not likely to get the results for which they hope.
D. None of the above.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Math Homework
6/10/2010
Math Tutor or Teacher: Scott, MIT Graduate replied 8 years ago
Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate

Sure!

What is the sample size for the first one?

Let me know,

Scott

To estimate the error of skewness? It doesn't give a sample size.

Is it given somewhere else? Because that's what you need for the formula for SES.

-Scott

No, That is the total question just "a distribution has a positive skew" No pop size or anything which made me believe there should be an option of "not enough info" There is a none of the above, but that's it.

Ok, it's an approximation! Skew is typically larger than 2 ses's, so ses must be less than 0.5:

B. <0.5

An environmental group wants to do a study that would demonstrate with a 99% certainty the the percentage of a certain kind of tree has declined from a known population. The variable under study is the number of this kind of tree acre. They also want to minimize costs by sampling trees from only a few acres. You consult with them before they do the study. WHat is your best advice? A. They should use the t table for small samples B. They should use the 99% confidence interval C. With a small tree sample and a high confidence interval they are not likely to get the results for which they hope. D. None of the above.

The population standard deviation is known, so it can't be A

It shouldn't be B, since we want 99% that it has declined, not 99% that it's different.

If C was true, then statistics wouldn't have any purpose!

So it's D.

Let me know if you have any questions,

Scott

Scott
Scott, MIT Graduate
Ummm in my life statistics doesn't have a purpose. Unless you count frustrating me, costing time and money, and all that other nonsense. My mantra? C=commencement. Honestly Scott God bless people like you who can help people like me but my brain doesn't speak math.

LOL!

-Scott