Math Homework

Ask Math Questions. Get Help With Your Math Homework

Math questions.

Customer Question
Math questions.
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Math Homework
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/10/2010
Math Tutor or Teacher: phdbj,
 replied 8 years ago
phdbj
I can try to help if I know more details of your math questions.

1) Perform the indicated operation:
-15-(-12)/-18-(-18)=

2) Subtract 7/9-(-13/18)=

3) Subtract -7-(5.7)

4) Find the median of the following set of numbers. 47, 25, 58, 28, 67, 66

5) Evaluate |-82|-|-89|.

6) Add -4/5+(-3/4)

7) Find the first and third quartiles, Q1 and Q3, of the following set of numbers. 347, 242, 146, 391, 249, 567, 277, 218, 319

8) Subtract 7/9-(13/18).

9) Subtract -7.1-(-8.3).

10) Find the mean and then the median for 12 months of utility bill, which was $30, $25, $33, $29, $46, $31, $30, $63, $41, $40, $34, $30
Math Tutor or Teacher: phdbj,
 replied 8 years ago
1. division has precedence over subtraction. So, -(-12)/-18 = 12/-18= -12/18 = -2/3
Rest of the numbers = -15-(-18) = 18 - 15 = 3. Put them together to get the answer. Answer = 3 - 2/3 = 7/3 = 2 and 1/3 (Two and one-third)

2. Becomes 7/9 + 13/18 = 14/18 + 13/18 = (14+13)/18 = 27/18 = 3/2 = 1 and 1/2 (one and a half)

3. Becomes -7 + 5.7 = -1.3

4. First sort in ascending order: 25, 28, 47, 58, 66, 67. Since there are 6 numbers, median is the average of the middle two numbers = (47+58)/2 = 52.5

5. |-82| = 82, |-89| = 89, so this becomes 82-89 = -7

6. Becomes -4/5 -3/4 = -4*4/(5*4) - 3*5/(4*5) = (-16-15)/20 = -31/20

7. Arrange ascending order: 146,218,242,249,277,319,347,391,567
median = 277. Q1 is the number where 25% of numbers are below it. For 242, 2/9 or 22% are below it. You can't choose 249 as Q1 since 1/3 of the numbers will be below it, making it larger than 25% required for Q1. Similarly Q3 = 347 since 67% of the numbers will be below it.

8. 7/9 - 13/18 = 14/18 - 13/18 = (14-13)/18 = 1/18

9. Becomes -7.1+8.3 = 1.2

10. Sort in ascending order. $25 ,$29 ,$30 ,$30 ,$30 ,$31 ,$33 ,$34 ,$40 ,$41 ,$46 ,$63
Mean = sum of all numbers/12 = 432/12 = $36.
Choose mid numbers $31, $33. Average of these two = $32 which is the median.

When you accept it, provide a positive feedback. Thanks.

Edited by BJ-PhD on 6/10/2010 at 6:01 AM EST