Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Just installed helix 5 si on a old town 106 mk, si works DI…

Customer Question
Just installed helix 5...

Just installed helix 5 si on a old town 106 mk , si works DI works but not picking up fish am I missing something , transom is leve, average speed of travel 2 mph

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Marine Electronics Specialist I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so the Marine Electronics Specialist can help you best.

No fish I’d no arch’s

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Boat Expert should know before I connect you? Rest assured that they'll be able to help you.

I turned on auto ID and no alarms for fish I’d

Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Marine Electronics
Answered in 3 days by:
8/4/2021
Marine Electronics Expert: Aaron M, Marine Electronics Installer replied 1 year ago
Aaron M
Aaron M, Marine Electronics Installer
Hello, is the unit in simulation mode? Also try manually setting the fish id.is this the only transducer installed?Is it showing anything for fish? Just not arches or is it showing nothing at all?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No no fish showing even turned on fish I'dSim is off
I know its frustrating... Is there any pixels or anything at all on display? Can you take a picture of it on and attach it to this thread?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Shows bottom structures like weeds . Si seems to work , I can see trees etc . I'll see if I can get a pic
Let's go from there. And this is the G2 model right? Can you verify that for me? Find the software menu or check on cord? There should be a model somewhere
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Here are some pics of transducer. I'll have to get screen pics next week.
2223563f-1dff-4ee4-acde...jpeg222356...jpeg7a39d01e-92a7-4dd2-9527...jpeg7a39d0...jpegec157dfa-5681-4562-a44c...jpegec157d...jpegb42e2c96-0adf-48db-9495...jpegb42e2c...jpeg
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
G2G2 chirp SI

One of the only other things I would check is the sensitivity settings on the unit as well a picture of the display would be best. One with the trees or weeds visible. Id also like to verify that the depth is showing proper range and depth numbers.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I had caught some fish under the boat but no arches or IDs seems to be ping depth , I also had fish sensitivity up to 9 or 10
That does actually. I'm going through documentation here... If your transducer isn't showing fish and you have the sensitivity up to high levels, we should by all means be seeing fish. Gain settings is the only other recourse, unfortunately at this point it could be a faulty sounder or unit. The data coming through may not be processing correctly. During actual use you are not even seeing pixels as targets or anything? Besides the bottom information? Because we have exhausted those options the unit and transducer will have to be sent in to repair.I know this isn't what you wanted to hear.... But as far as troubleshooting goes that is what the signs point to.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No pixels other then bot***** *****ke some weeds or a big treeit could be the helix 5 or the transducer? Should I order a new transducer and see if that fixes it. Or is it best to send the works to hummingbird service ?
If the unit is under warranty it will be free to send it in. They repair or replace faulty issues. It's worth a call to them as well. I wouldn't order anything without calling them. They may point you to a local dealer who can swap it out if you cannot wait for mail and packages to get there and back. There may be better options rather than paying for more equipment. But yes it could be. I've seen product be faulty out of box more than you would think.1-***-***-**** is the customer service number and they have a dealer locator on thier website.Let me know what they say. I've gone through all thier troubleshooting steps online with you. Make sure you let them know that. I am a certified marine technician. So they don't try to make you jump through hoops.I won't mark this complete unless you ask me to. So I can followup with you tomorrow if nothing else. Let me know if there is anything else I can do for you.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks so much , I'll let you know how it goes. !:)

Hello, just following up to see how this went?

I will still be here if you need anything. Thanks for using Justanswer!

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks , I have been able to connect with hummingbird yet but will try next week. Should I be looking at a gen 3 model instead?
Honestly, I'd be looking I to some better brands. Like I mentioned I am getting a lot of issues with humminbird. Garmin makes some good ones. Echomaps or the the Lowrance hook series tripleshot are good units. Easy to install and use.