Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Pearl. I recently tried to install my Boss Audio system

Customer Question
Hello, Pearl. I...

Hello, Pearl. I recently tried to install my Boss Audio system MCK632WB.64 in my '08 Sweetwater pontoon boat. I've discovered that the wiring harness that is on the boat is for 11 wires and the Boss requires a 12-wire harness. Can I get one from you directly? If not, what to do?

Mechanic's Assistant: How long have you had your MCK632WB.64?

Just received it about a week ago. Been trying for three days to make things work but someone royally screwed up color scheme to make the old radio work.

Mechanic's Assistant: What have you tried so far?

1. Black to black, red to red, etc.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

2. Black to yellow (yellow is a "hot line"). Dsughter discovered only 11 wires coming off of boat and 12 wires from sound system. I'm stumped.

Submitted: 21 days ago.Category: Marine Electronics
5/30/2018
Marine Electronics Expert: Joe, Marine Electronics Installer replied 21 days ago
Joe
Joe, Marine Electronics Installer

Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is Joe and I will be happy to help you with your concern today.

The new boss radio should come with its own factory wiring harness, you would need to remove the old prior harness by cutting the wires and then splicing the new harness in, use heat shrink adhesive lined waterproof connectors only.

Black is ground, red and yellow are both hots that connect to the harness corresponding wires. Red is ignition and yellow should come from battery, other than that you just have the black ground, then your speaker wire connections and any other connections needed such as amps, inputs, etc.

https://www.bossaudio.com/manual/MR632UAB_EN_UM_V3.PDF

You will not use the blue unless you need an power antenna, or remote turn on for an amp, etc, so it is otherwise not needed. 8 wires are speaker, the other three are 2 power and one ground. Black ground should not be hooked to the yellow power.

My goal is to give you the best experience possible! I hope I have earned a 5-star rating! Please remember to rate my service by selecting the 5 stars at the top of the screen before you leave today. If you need more assistance, please use the reply box and let me know. Thanks for using justanswer / pearl.com and have a great day!

Customer reply replied 21 days ago
OK, Joe, I'll give it another try. I HATE wiring and my husband hates it even more! Such fun, huh.
It’s not too complicated even though it may seem that way, I sent you the manual that shows the wiring for the radio, the red is ignition/key on hot, yellow batt hot at all times and black is ground. Speaker wires should hopefully be marked and or match colors with old harness wiring. Otherwise you can test each speaker via the two wires with a 9v battery, touch each wire to the pos and neg and the corresponding speaker will have a small pop sound each time you make contact with the 9v battery and thus you will know which speaker is which.