Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Kohler 5ecd overheats after about 6 mins (shutdown with

Customer Question
error code HE. Withing the...
Kohler 5ecd overheats after about 6 mins (shutdown with error code HE. Withing the last 2 hours of use, the impeller has been changed as well as oil and spark plugs. At one point the coolant lever was low in the over flow bottle. I added coolant to the over flow bottle. After that I looked like there was a leak from the overflow bottle, fluid under it. I filled it up, ran the generator and the fluid level in the overflow came up and did not leak again so a leak in the overflow bottle was a read herring.From what I've read from amateurs on the blogs it looks like there is an air bubble in the system.Any thoughts?Thanks,Greg
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Marine Electronics
5/28/2018
Marine Electronics Expert: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 2 months ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hi Greg, my name is***** read what you wrote. Is the generator pumping water? Can you see water coming out of the generators exhaust system?

lots of water, sea strainer clear.

Got it. I see you replaced the impeller, and you are getting plenty of water out of the exhaust, so that part is fine. I dont' see any mention of the thermostat though. The next step here would be replacing that thermostat. Has that been done yet?

Let's talk about this is you have time. Send me the link again to pay for that.

I'm sorry I don't quite follow you. Did you want to do the phone call?

There should be a button on your screen that says "call me", if you hit that it will send you the options for doing a phone call.

Don't see it

Hmm... Try refreshing your web browser.

I did see it password ***** wrong for my PayPal account (stored on a different computer) and now I can't get back to the call screen. Should i ask a new but the same question?

To be honest this system is all automated, and I have no way to force anything, so I think that would be the best thing to do. What you can do is do a refund on this question, and close this out. Then go ahead and start a new question topic from starch and stick my name in it, and I will see it -Jason