Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

How much should it cost to install a gps plotter in a

1987chrus craft 415 stinger...
How much should it cost to install a gps plotter in a 1987chrus craft 415 stinger
3/27/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Would you be just installing a single screen, or multiple screens? Is there going to be a transducer for the depthfinder function also installed into the boat? If so, which type of transducer?

Reply one7 inch screen and one random mount transducer my name is*****

H​I Bill. What type of transducer is going to be installed? Are you looking to install a skimmer type transducer, which is the type that is screwed to the transom of the boat? Or are you going to use a through hull transducer, which gets mounted to the bottom of the boat? Also, is the boat already on a trailer or on drydock, or does the boat have to be hauled out?

Are you still here?

Theboat
The boat will be on blocks I just bought it and it is a transducer that the cable is thru Hull and it mounts on the bottom of the boat
The god is a Sontag go7
Gps
Sinrad go 7

The transducer that comes with the GO 7 is a skimmer type transducer. Is that what you plan on using? (The reason I ask is on boats this size, it's not common to use that type of transducer, on boats this size you typically use a through hull transducer). Also, on the display itself, are you planning on just using the mounting bracket that comes with it? Or are you looking to custom install the display into the boat, such as flush mounting the display into a custom panel?

Custom install in dash
What transducer should I use

I can certainly make a transducer recommendation. How deep is the water you plan on boating in. Is it under 800 feet, under 2000 feet, or over 2000 feet?

It is the California delta and sf bay so sometimes over 2000 but usually less

Got it. You would want to use this type of transducer, click this link - http://ww2.simrad-yachting.com/en-US/Products/Echosounders/Transducers/B175H-W-DepthTemperature-Transducer-en-us.aspx

On the mounting of the screen. You wrote that you wanted it customer installed in the dash. Do any panels need to be made up to install the screen? Or is there a flat spot in the dash that just needs to be cut?

I found an open flat spot

Okay got it. The biggest part of the job is going to be running the cable for the transducer, and mounting the transducer. On a boat like yours, to install the display and mount the transducer, you would be looking at roughly 5 to 6 labor hours. It's about 3/4's of a day's job for 1 person to get it all done from start to finish. There will also be some material costs as well, for the sealer needed for the transducer. For material costs figure just 20 or 30 bucks. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Thanks Jason one more question I need to replace the generator muffler how much and how long should it take

To be honest, on that one I would need to see quite a few pictures of the boat, as well as know the make and model of the generator, and the exhaust hoses sizes for the muffler itself. On a side note, if you are new to Justanswer, the way the website works is if you have a follow up question that is directly related to the initial question, I would be obligated to answer those follow up questions. But if you have a question that is not directly related to the initial question, then Justanswer would have you start a new question topic from scratch. In this case here, a muffler is not related to a GPS system, and you would need to start a new question topic on that issue. Thanks again.

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic