Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

1995 capri bayliner 20.5. I just bought this, I am used to…

1995 capri bayliner 20.5. I...
1995 capri bayliner 20.5. I just bought this, I am used to outboard motors. What is the correct way to start this?
Answered in 1 minute by:
3/19/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello, this is Jason. Which engine is in the boat, and is the engine carbureted or fuel injected?

V8 5.0 mercury alpha

G​ot it. All you have to do to start it is to prime the engine, and then turn the key. To prime it, what you need to do is put the shifter mechanism handle and neutral, and then pump it a few times. On your shifter, to put it into neutral, there will either be a button at the base of it that you push it, or, if there is no button, you can grab the base of the handle and pull it out (pull it to the left). That will stick the shifter into neutral. After that you want to give to 2 to 3 full pumps, then set the shifter handle about 1/2 way forward, and then turn the key. As long as there is nothing wrong with the engine (problems or just being out of tune) it will start right up. After it starts, you want to pull the shifter handle back until the engine RPMS hover around 1000. Let it sit like that for a minute or two until the engine warms up. Once warmed up, you can pull the shifter handle back into the neutral position, then pop it into gear, and off you go. Does that all make sense.

Any videos on this?

I ​found this one on youtube. The shifter might not match yours 100%, but the process of starting the engine is the same. Click this link - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eoYEM9-41og

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hooking it up to earmuffs. Where does the water come out of?

Out of the exhaust system.

Can u show me. Like to know if I am doing it right

I don't understand. Show you how?

The stream coming next to the green hose?

E​verything you see in that video is normal.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/99ovn0xzdygt4w2/20180331_163049.mp4?dl=0Is this right?

Yes. That is right.