Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a 2008 Chaparral 256 SSI Volvo Penta 5.7 320 HP The…

I have a 2008 Chaparral...
I have a 2008 Chaparral 256 SSI Volvo Penta 5.7 320 HPThe engine seems to run fine but the engine is making a noticeably louder sound. Specifically on the left side it sounds like air is rushing out a periodically as the engine turns over. Is this a muffler issue?
2/7/2018
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Are you hearing an exhaust noise, or an intake noise? Is the noise coming from inside of the engine compartment or from the outside, on the back of the boat?

Hi Jason,This is James, the boat owner. The noise comes from inside the engine compartment in the back of the boat. Seem like it's coming from the side of the engine. Not sure if exhaust or intake... how would I distinguish?
FYI the sound is almost like an old school train locomotive... you know the kind you see in westerns and the air popping noise sounds as the train gets underway. Best way to describe it.

Hi James. Is there an exhaust/tailpipe smell from the inside of the engine compartment? Are you near the boat now to maybe take a video with sound and upload it to youtube?

No there doesn't seem to be a smell. I can go out to the dock and make a short video if that would help.

A​ video with sound would be helpful. Are you able to do that and upload it to youtube?

Let me try.

Okay I will be here.

ok here it is. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwpWI3Lx4oM&feature=youtu.beThere might be a slight smell of gas/exhaust.. but not overwhelming. I did have the engine compartment open.

G​ot it. I saw the video. That is an exhaust leak. It's going to be 1 of 2 problems. Either the gasket between the exhaust manifold and the cylinder head is bad. Or the cylinder head gasket itself is bad and shooting exhaust out of the side of it. Between the 2 possibilities, odds are 90% it's the manifold gasket and just 10% it's the head gasket. In a nutshell that side manifold will need to come off and the gasket will need to be inspected to see if the leak there is obvious. If there isn't any kind of "smoking gun" type of evidence of the leak, the next step would be to compression test the engine. And then crank the engine over with the ignition system disabled, and see if there is any air shooting out of the side of the cylinder head. But between those to possibilities, odds are it is going to be a bad manifold to head gasket. Does that all make sense. I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
thank you!

You are very welcome. Thanks again and good luck!

One last question... is it an expensive repair like replacing the manifolds themselves?

Do you boat in fresh or saltwater?

saltwater

In saltwater, both the manifolds and risers will not last the life of the engine. Depending how often you flush, the risers can last as little as 2 years or as long as 5. Manifolds last 8 to 12 years before they rust up and plug up. If it's just the gasket that is bad between the manifold and cylinder head, you are looking at roughly 50 bucks in gaskets and 3 to 4 labor hours to pull that all apart and put it back together again. But when it all comes apart, if it is found that the risers are clogged up, those run about 600 for a pair. If the manifolds are plugged up, they average about 1000 bucks for a pair of those.

Hey just a follow up to this. So it wasn't an exhaust leak. The spark plug broke off and part of it went into the engine
I had a mobile marine mechanic come out and take a look. I had to have her towed to a marina for further inspection. In your experience, do you think the sparkplug parts in the engine will necessitate an engine replacement? How much would you estimate a repair like that to cost?

O​uch, that's no good. Honestly the cylinder head needs to come off just to get an idea if there is damage, and if there is damage, the extent of it. If you can get the cylinder head off and send me some pictures of the underside of the head, top of the piston, and the cylinder walls, I will be able to give you an idea if you need a new engine or not.

No worries. It's already at the marina getting looked at so I can't take pictures... just wanted give you the details on what the mechanic discovered.Any idea where I can figure out what a replacement engine job should cost?

I​f you click this link, you can shop around for new and remanufactured engines, - http://www.michiganmotorz.com/

As for the labor time, an engine swap is typically in the 10 to 12 hour ballpark if swapping completely engines. It's more time if you get a short block, and swap over parts from the old engine.

Thank you!

You are very welcome.