Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Yamaha outboard tachometer signal lost with new ignition…

Customer Question
Yamaha outboard tachometer signal lost...
Yamaha outboard tachometer signal lost with new ignition.
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Marine Electronics
12/30/2017
Marine Electronics Expert: Boat Doc, Marine Mechanic replied 6 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Marine Mechanic

Hello, can you tell me what engine this is and explain to me what you replaced before the tachometer failed please?

Hi, Doc! Let me give you some background info and try to explain my question a bit more in detail. I Swapped my old Yamaha F225BET for a F250UCA with digital electronic controls. I kept the same ignition for the 2 engines. The problem is that the socket for ignition coming of the new harness is of different size and 1 of the wires do not match.
I had to get the boat running so I cut the sockets of and connected the wires straight.Everything works except the tach.
The socket on the left is from the new engine harness and the one on the right is from the ignition. Green from the one and blue/white stripe on the other does not match
What I want to know is, is there a way of wiring this without buying a new ignition, or is there anything else that is wrong? I have the old square gauges btw

I need to do some research on this, give me a little time please.

Sure thing! I appreciate you giving it a go.
Hey, Doc! How is the research coming along?

Still trying, I can't seem to find the literature I need for this to see if the signals are the same, hope you can give me a little more time.

Sure thing, Doc!

Hi, are the gauges from prior to 2004?

I'm sorry, I have reached a dead end. I can't find a decent diagram on that engine in my references and don't want to steer you wrong. I am going to opt out of this question and we'll see if one of the other experts has an idea. Please don't reply on this thread till another expert chimes in or the system will lock me back in. Sorry for the inconvenience.