Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Looking for a mechanic who really knows Axius systems. I…

Customer Question
Looking for a mechanic who...
Looking for a mechanic who really knows Axius systems. I have a 2011 Four Winns with score 350 mags and have Axius questions.
Submitted: 5 months ago.Category: Marine Electronics
11/20/2017
Marine Electronics Expert: Matthew John, Marine Electronics Installer replied 5 months ago
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Electronics Installer

Hi my name is***** to Just Answer ! I will be assisting you.

I have assisted with 2 projects in as many years. 1 Axius and 1 Joystick Plotting Outboards. In saying this, I would consider myself as Lower Level knowledge of Axius systems, as you would know these systems require High Level knowledge to set-up. I can assist you with Specs, Component I.D and Troubleshooting.

I presume thus far, the boat had Axius installed since original fit-out and that it's Gen 2. Are you the original owner of the boat and do you have Low, Medium or High knowledge of Operation and Maintenance of the system? Are you able to Tick All The Box's of the Pre-Delivery Check List in the Service/Operation Manual?

These are just some questions in order to make a start. As you will appreciate, the Axius subject can possibly take extensive time in discussing, depending on what's needed to get you up to a satisfactory outcome.

Feel free to ask questions and at any time let me know if you would like me to refer you to another expert.

Regards,

It was a factory install and had the joy stick replaced by the factory. How are you on vessel view? Occasionally, generally when hitting ruff water, I get man alarms indicating all sort of things loss of steering (not true) and last Sat a low power, I think it said low electrical power. The joy stick was unresponsive. Steering worked The batteries are fully charge and not more than a year old and always plugged into shore power with the charger on. Each engine turns over very briskly when I started. I shut down both engines, fired then up after a brief period. No alarms and the joystick worked. It almost feels like a brief electrical problem. The bot can run fine for many miles and then this sort of thing happens. The engine guarding system did come on but clears with a restart.A bit of history. The boat was an FL boat (salt water) the first part of its life then trucked to Chicago for the last year. I bought is has has it shipped our here last May. I boat in the CA delta. The boat is stored on a lift out of the water. I know your experience is limited but I'm willing to see what we can do here. I'm fairly good with mechanical stuff and I've taken a marine electronics course so I know the basics.
Hey, thanks for the response! I have a few ideas to get us started and will elaborate on them once i'm home at my desktop. I will help you investigate the momentary loss of power and this will make sense that it will be going into Gardian because this is the redundancy measure taken in the CAN network. I will get back to you around about the same time as my previous reply.
Thanks!

Hey there,

Once again, thanks for getting back to me.

I just want to provide you with a list of things that we have generated from our initial discussions so far and I will be up-front step by step and will now provide you a list of things for our joint troubleshooting exercise and I hope you can interrogate, rule-out, amend or add to.

· Vessel View - You have experienced a fault situation and the VV has displayed a live fault and has since corrected its self.

· I would normally suggest to have a technician to retrieve fault info. In this case I will provide you with a list of Faults that may have been displayed and you can pick the faults that you remembered that were displayed at the time.

· It is in my utmost interest and value for me to provide you the steps in precedence from the most obvious and easy/ quickest to rectify. Having said this, if we are proceeding into deeper fault finding issues, just letting you know that it could involve you disconnecting every single connector (plug), labelling/ marking the ones you have checked. You will be checking for misaligned pins in connectors, pins that have backed out of connectors and so on. This could possibly be a painstaking process and you REALLY need to find something otherwise we are just guessing. Just remember anything is possible. Way back on the installation a pin could have been backed out of a plug and you wouldn't know until now. If engaged in this process, start with the most obvious connectors to be trouble. Ones that are cable tied to control cables under the dash where there is strain on electrical cables and the cable ties have come loose over time (situation of hitting waves) or where evidence of water has run down and entered a connector because it has been affixed in a vertical position in order for water to run down the cable and in to the connector (position connectors horizontal). Logical things like this will precede in your fault finding to save time, hence MARKING the connector as checked will be a helpful thing.

· Skipping back a step, I will provide you with a quick insight on the CAN (Controller Area Network) in order for you to get a little more up to pace with what I was saying that I can elaborate on for you.

· Unfortunately, I will not be able to provide you with the test procedures for the CAN network, but can take some measurements for you in the mean time.

.

Matthew John
Matthew John