Marine Electronics

Marine Electronics Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Marine Electronics

I recently installed some LED strip bow lights on my ranger

boat.I just clipped the wires...
I recently installed some LED strip bow lights on my ranger boat.I just clipped the wires going to m my stock light and wired the new LED strips parallel series with but splices. Lights work ok and are very bright however when switch is off the green light has a faint glow. I checked leads with my multi tester and reads 5 volts? Do I have a faulty light strip?
11/16/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

H​ello my name is***** read what you wrote. It's actually normal. LED stand for light emitting diode. A diode is a 1 way electrical door that allows voltage to travel in 1 direction but not in the opposite direction. The issue here diodes only work this way "in a perfect world" or if the diodes/LED's are of extremely high quality ($$$). With your average Chinese made consumer grade run of the mill stuff, diodes actually leak. They for the most part will "allow most of the voltage/current" travel in 1 direction but at the same time they also sort of leak and will still allow voltage/current to also travel in the opposite direction. The reason the green light glows is because voltage and current is going through that switch and leaking past the LED diodes to ground even though the LED's themselves are not illuminated. If you want to do some research on your own you can search on google for diode leakage/diode leak/LED leakage/LED leak. Click this link, this is just 1 example. http://www.learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/What-is-the-leakage-current-of-a-diode What is happening now is going to put a drain on your battery and eventually will drain it dead. Your best bet is to simply replace that switch with a basic toggle switch that has no light in it. If you do that then there will not be a current draw and your battery will be fine. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further or more specific question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.

Thank you
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic