Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

On my FA-50 the TX LED is blinking orange; which in the

Customer Question
Hello. On my FA-50...

Hello. On my FA-50 the TX LED is blinking orange; which in the manual says "when continuous transmission is not possible (Tx time out)".

Mechanic's Assistant: What's the make/model of your device? How old is it?

Installed at Falmouth in

Mechanic's Assistant: How long has this been going on? What troubleshooting have you tried?

Installed at Falmouth in August 2017. Class B AIS transponder. Furuno FA-50 SER.No 3559-8729. The RX is working just fine. Chart plotter gives our position and other vessels. I noticed our last position on Vessel Finder was on Mallorca -about a month ago. I checked with another vessel with AIS and they could not see us. I went into the MFD and check all the FA-50 info; did the FA-50/tests -the Transponder Test and the GPS test and both came back as OK. Don't know what "Tx time out" means? How do I get back to TX LED blue light? Thank you! Kevin Bourgeois, Ocean Dream, Siracusa, Sicily.

Mechanic's Assistant: Anything else you want the Electronics Expert to know before I connect you?

I think what I sent covers the matter. I tried to keep it short but not leaving out info that a tech might find useful. Thanks. KB

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Marine Electronics
Answered in 6 days by:
10/25/2017
Marine Electronics Expert: Boat Doc, Marine Mechanic replied 8 months ago
Boat Doc
Boat Doc, Marine Mechanic

Hi, check the leads to the VHF antenna and to the GPS unit to make sure they are tight. If everything looks good, you may want to try another antenna to see if the unit begins to transmit. Also make sure the ground is good to the bonding system of the vessel. If those check good then it is likely the unit has failed.