Marine Electronics

Marine Electronics Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Marine Electronics

I have a 1988 mercury mariner 75hp that when i hit the key

Customer Question
to start sometimes it will...
i have a 1988 mercury mariner 75hp that when i hit the key to start sometimes it will turn over and u walk away and the next time it wont make any sound?
Submitted: 1 month ago.Category: Marine Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
10/16/2017
Marine Electronics Expert: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 month ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. I don't see any kinds of questions. Did you need an explaination of how the starting system works, or a wiring diagram, or did you have different questions on the issue?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
right now when i turn the key to start it it makes no sound,
Customer reply replied 1 month ago
this is brad,

Hi Brad. Okay got that. Do you have a volt meter, now how to take voltage measurments, and are you near the boat now?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
im not with the boat, i took my volt meter to the red wire and then the black with yellow to check there and it was low, like 10.54

How is it I can be of help to you, what are you looking to do here?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
im wanting to get my boat motor to start, wondering why u can hit the key a couple times and it turns over and then try it 3 more times and no sound at all

I get all that. You could have a bad key switch, a bad battery connection, a neutral switch problem, and a host of other things. Would it help if I explained how the starting system works, and how voltage gets from point A to point B?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
that would be great, the control is brand new,
Marine Electronics Expert: Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician replied 1 month ago
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician

Hello Brad. My name is Tan.

Since the control is brand new that leaves the start solenoid or a battery cable connection as the issue.

We need to test when the problem occurs. Check for voltage on the red/yellow wire when the key is in the crank position. If you have voltage and the engine does nothing the solenoid is bad. If you have no voltage or voltage below 9.5 then we have a battery cable issue. Right now everything points to a start solenoid as the issue.

Does this make sense?

Customer reply replied 1 month ago
sir

Keep me posted to your findings or post back if you have a question on troubleshooting.

I hope I’ve provided the information you were seeking. If you are happy with my service, your 5-star rating at this time is most welcome. If you need more help, please let me know so l can continue to assist you.

Thank you.....Tan

Tan
Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician