Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

2012 DF115 4 stroke issue. I have 2 engines sharing common…

Customer Question
2012 DF115 4 stroke issue. I...
2012 DF115 4 stroke issue.
I have 2 engines sharing common fuel tank each with racor separators. One engine is fine the others start alarm stays on and will not rev above 3000rpm.
I can select forward and reverse and gearbox engages and propellor operates ok.
Alarm stays on.
Both engines start easily and idle with no issue.
My skipper saw oil light flashing when on a trip and topped up the oil. Back at port when I inspected the dip stick was completely covered in oil, even after cleaning, with engine lowered in operating position and cold. I drained out 3 litres to get it back to recommended levels.
When starting the engine alarm sounds and every 5-7 seconds I hear a click from the dashboard console as it a solenoid is resetting.
Engine has done 1800 hours and has new filters, plugs, gear and oil.
I am in remote Indonesia and skilled resource is impossible to find. Help
Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Marine Electronics
9/30/2017
Marine Electronics Expert: Matthew John, Marine Electronics Installer replied 6 months ago
Matthew John
Matthew John, Marine Electronics Installer

Hey there, I was opted out for your initial request but just want to help seeing your circumstances. I know it can be difficult at times relaying information from boat operator to owner to tech advice and so forth.

The information you have provided indicates strongly to me that you have an oil pressure related problem, i.e Engine does not operate over 3000RPM, 1800hrs on the clock, operator reported Oil Lamp occurrence, and audible alarm.

From this, I strongly advise you to perform the following Oil Pressure Test provided in my screen shots! If you prefer... Swap Oil Pressure Sensors engine to engine and see if the problem follows the sensor or stays with the engine...

If the problem stays with the engine (engine has actual low oil pressure, let me know! I'll send you a list in the mean time of things it can be.

Further, I can address as best as possible your remote location problem if there is worst case scenario with the contact of an Elite Suzuki Service Dealer located in Brisbane Australia. He is the "GoTo" guy for any further tech issues you have. Just have a chat with him, his name is***** of Bay Side Suzuki Marine. I am located on the Gold Coast and anyone I know with Suzuki issues I send the there and they get straight up advice and a good price on parts and he has a huge network of commercial operators under him.

Chat soon,

http://www.baysidesuzukimarine.com/about-us/about-bayside-suzuki-marine/

BTW, I am sure that you are aware of the Oil Change Reminder Alarm (two beeps) and we have confirmed that this is not currently occurring, but I will provide this info just now incase of the occurrence popping up at some stage.

Regards,

Please don't hesitate to let me know of any concerns you may have in the future!

Be sure to hit my Star Rating ! ! ! ! !

All the best!!!

Hi Matthew
I did as you suggested, swapped over the oil pressure switch. Problem persisted so that's not the issue. Start up alarm, lights flash, tacho returns to zero, lights go off but alarm stays on but quieter. At the console switch area I can hear a light clunk like a solenoid is resetting so the alarm can continue. Oil filter fine, new oil, correct viscosity rating. Any ideas
Matthew John
Matthew John