Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Stalling 200hp outboard. Lookin for some advance / guidance.

Stalling johnson 200hp outboard. Lookin...
Stalling johnson 200hp outboard. Lookin for some advance / guidance.I Bought a used boat about 2 months ago, slowly got it seaworthy, had mechanic rebuild carbs, and had low end rebuilt too. Fuel water separator is new too.Supposedly the gas sat for a few (5 or so months) months in TX, from where I bought the boat from. But it's been running great generally, until today.I took it offshore two days last week, stayed near shore, but it ran great boat days.. WOT for 20-30 minutes each way, twice..Today I ran Boat for about 6mph for about 10-15 minutes to get out of the bay, when we hooked up to bait barge, the motor stalled and then wouldn't stay running when In Gear. It started right up, revved in nietral
Fine, but as soon as I put in forward or reverse, immediate stall. Again, started right up, but wouldnt stay alive when attempting to put in gear. Even lightly.. I was doing a lot of forward / reverse and I'm not the strongest on shifting, so that could be a factor? I was told the lower end unit is not in good shape..When we put boat in wash bay, it was idling a bit rougher than normal with earmuffs like in 6-800 rpm, so I revved it and it blew white smoke and idled much better after that, still lower than usual (900rpm rather than 1100 like usual..Anyhow, I'm just looking for some ideas. Should I try to take it out again? Sound like a known issue and needs mechanics attention? I'm planning on taking it to mechanic at this point. Anything to look out for?Thanks in advance:1997 200hp johnson ocean runner , 1997 hydra sport 2250 cc
9/17/2017
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic

Hello, this is Jason, whom am I speaking with? I read what you wrote. Have you done any kind of troubleshooting on your own yet regarding this issue?

Hello Jason,I have not done any troubleshooting. What type of troubleshooting would you recommend?
this is Ramon btw. you helped me with the 1997 Hydra-Sport purchase. which is great so far, we anticipated these kind of issues to get it back into shape..Some notes what happened after we were towed back in.
The engine started kind of funny when it was on the wash ramp.. then revving in nuewtral brought it back up to low but normal idle speed and it idle'd without problem for the rinsing ~3 minutes.Is is possible it is the lower end unit? would that cause this troublewe were also getting a gas alarm quite frequently (single steady beep which turned off) , but we didnt notice any kind of performance issueswe put in about 1/3 of new gas last time (treated) so we've got probably got 2/3's of what we were told was "bad gas". the mechanic said to just burn through it.any troubleshooting tips would be appreciated. or even links to how to troubleshoot.
when the motor failed we were docking up to the bait barge. once it stalled we were unable to put the boat in gear at all.

Hi Roman, okay got that. Here is what we would do in the shop;

1. As simple as this sounds you always start by running it off of a different fuel tank, like a small plastic portable tank. Half the time there isn't anything wrong the motor itself, but rather the gas is bad. Outboard engines, especially 2 strokes, are very very picky as to the quality of the fuel itself. You also want to change all fuel filters on the boat and engine.

2. If no change, then compression testing the engine is next. Your results need be about 80 psi or better on that engine, all cylinders should be within 10-15% of eachother. If you get below 80 , then the engine is worn out or has mechanical problems, and you might as well stop your troubleshooting here, as there is nothing you can do to an engine with low compression to make it run better. From there you can run a can of decarbonizer through it like seafoam to see if the compression comes up or not. Sometimes what happens is the piston rings will stick from carbon and oil build up, giving low compression.

3. Spark test Get a timing light and run the engine and hook the timing light up to each plug wire one at a time and see if the timing light flashes or not. Flash means the engine is sparking when running, no flash means no spark. Again this is a pass or fail test. If there is no spark on an cylinder, change the plugs first. IF there is still no spark on any 1 cylinder, swap a firing ignition coil for a non firing one and see if the problem follows the coil or not. If it does there is a bad coil, if not there is a bad powerpack.

4. You want to check the fuel pump pulser hose and see if there is any fuel in it. This is a small hose that runs between the fuel pump and the engine block. If the fuel pump has a torn diaphragm there will be fuel in this line, and that will cause the engine to flood out. This line should always normally be dry.

5. Lastly, if you do all of the above steps and still do not get any kind of result, the problem is going to be in the carb. They are either dirty on the inside, or one of them has a sticking float not allowing fuel into the engine. in any event if you get to this point the carb would need to come off and be rebuilt. I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.

Please note that our question sessions never close out, so if you need to come back later down the road with follow up questions to the issue, you can do so at any time, even after putting through a rating.

Thanks in advance, and good luck
Jason

Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Thank you for the extremely helpful and details response. I will do all of this.