Charles
Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) I have been installing Marine Electronics for over a decade now.
67216606

My sonar won't turn on? I have a 178. It says the transducer

Customer Question

Hello! My sonar won't turn on? I have a 178. It says the transducer isn't connected? Any idea? Thanks a lot
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: It's a garmin 178c
JA: What happened right before this popped up?
Customer: Not sure what you mean. The gps works but not the sonar?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I tried a number of things within the menu - no luck
JA: Anything else you want the GPS expert to know before I connect you?
Customer: Don't think so
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

First look at the connection for the sonar transducer and make sure that the connection is lean and that it is tight. If you can gain access to the entire run of the transducer cable, check it and make sure that there are no breaks or cuts in the cable.

Also check at the transducer to ensure that the wire is still sealed into the transducer well and is not a cause for leaks. \

Also put the unit into simulator mode and make sure that it will show depth in that mode. If it does not, run a software update on the unit and see if that will correct it.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks Charles - I did everything you suggested (it works on simulator mode) - but still doesn't work?
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

You have a bad transducer, and it will need to be replaced. If you can tell me the numbers and letters on the tag near the plug, I can look one up for you.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I bought a new transducer ($200) and still have the same problem?
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Im not sure what transducer you bought, but the 178 is just a 2D Normal sonar unit, with or with out GPS.

Does it still say that the transducer is not connected?

This top listing is the transducer that you should have. What is the part number on the that for the one you have? If you recall, I did ask for the part number of the old transducer so that I could look up a new one for you.

http://g.factoryoutletstore.com/cat/19678-3081/Garmin-Plastic-Transducers-garmin-010-10272-00.html

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Charles - thanks for getting back me. I have a 178C and the product # is 010-10192-01 apparently this is compatible? Not sure what's up? Thanks a lot, B
Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

IT says it is compatible yes. but it has features that you may not need. If you have GPS he paddle wheel is not needed, but either transducer will provided temp. Check the rear of the unit for a bent pin, where the transducer plugs in.

Expert:  Charles replied 1 month ago.

Did you ever run a software update?