Charles
Charles, Marine Tech
Experience:  US Navy (Ret) I have been installing Marine Electronics for over a decade now.
67216606

On a 70hp evinrude efi engine. Model e70pl4si. Engine was

Customer Question

On a 70hp evinrude efi engine. Model e70pl4si. Engine was submerged in fresh water for several days. Boat side wiring harness was cut and engine raised. With in a couple of hours, the oil was drained, the vst was drained, and replace with fresh oil and fuel. The starter was opened and dried. All wiring harness connectors were opened, cleaned and dried, including the ecu connectors. The spark plugs were removed, the engine cranked to remove as much water as possible from the cylinders. 12 volts was applied to purple wire on the cut end of the boatside harness. Engine cranked, spark on each cylinder for a second or 2, then no spark. Attached a diagnostic computer, no faults. RPM signal is present while cranking. Hear the injectors clicking. Is it likely the ecu has been damaged? How can I test this. My service manual is quite sketchy on testing the ignition system. (Clymer manual)
Category: Marine Electronics
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has been almost a full day, I requested fast response, Is there something I need to do? Like make a paymet
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** will assist you.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Im not sure if your ECU has the 4 pin connector on it that this manual talks about, but there is the testing for the ECU stating on page 84. Yes I know it is for the 90 HP, but for free factory manuals, this one is all that is out there. I would also wire in a key switch to make sure that you are getting the proper connections to operate the engine.

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/suzuki/manuals/suzuki_df.html#/84

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
DON'T SEE ANY 4 PIN CONNECTOR MELSONTIONED, I SEE 44 PIN TEST HARNESS WHICH I DON'T HAVE.
ALSO, DON'T HAVE WIRING FOR BOATSIDE HARNESS WHICH HAS BEEN CUT OFF. Also did not answer what could cause there to be spark for about 1 second (2 to 3 cycles) then nothing.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

For the test on the 44 pin connector, you would need tp back probe the points on the harness since you do not have the 44 pin test harness.

For the key switch, you would need to get a switch and then using the cut harness wire one in using the correct wire on the correct terminals. This could be why there is no spark now.

The other reasons for no spark now could be a bad CPS, ECU, main power relay, stator failure, Harness ground that is come off. Power lead that is corroded off from the starter terminal. Or even the 30 or 60A fuse blowing.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Sorry, that's no help!! As stated before, I have attached a diagnostic computer. No codes. Have tack signal which rules out the cps. main power relay since the the ecu comes on. If the stator failed I would expect no spark at all. Note I have spark for a second or 2. Also, if the fuses were bad the engine should not crank. Also, not sure which wires would be correct to wire to a switch. No color codes to follow for the harness.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Look on page 109 of that manual I sent you. There is a key switch wiring there.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
again this in not helpful. this is an evinrude and not a Suzuki, the color wires do not match. besides the key switch as I look at the diagraphm, supplies power to the ecu, and main power relays, and to the starter to crank, and the choke. All those functions I have been able to do.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

The Evinrude 4 stroke was made by Suzuki. That is why I an sending you that manual.

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Testing the CPS under a load is the only way that you will know if it is failing when under load. Same for the stator, when it generates electricity it could be failing after just a few cycles. The harness could be corroded inside the insulation and this is causing excess resistance and thus stopping the spark signal from reaching the coils. The tip of the CPS could also be covered in algae now and that is blocking the flow of the signal to the ECU.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the cps is clean, when cranking, is there a dva test for signal to the coils. also is there a dva test for the stator? if so, what readings should I expect.Oh, I know the engine was manufactured by Suzuki, but the boat side harness has omc wire colors.
Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Looking to see what I can find

Expert:  Charles replied 2 months ago.

Cant seem to locate any of the info that you are needed. I will opt out of the question and if anyone else has the answers to your questions, they will come and pick it up.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thanks