Marine Electronics

Marine Electronics Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Marine Electronics

I am considering the purchase of a Furuno NavNet TZ touch2

Customer Question
12.1 MDF chart plotter. Will...
I am considering the purchase of a Furuno NavNet TZ touch2 12.1 MDF chart plotter. Will my 50/200 transducer connect directly to the unit and support the fish finder feature without a black box? I do not have the model number of the transducer but it was used for a Furuno FCV 1100L with a ETR 6/10N network sounder. Also, the unit has NMEA2000 IN/OUT ports but NMEA 0183 out port only. Can equipment sending NMEA 0183 be converted to NMEA 2000?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Marine Electronics
10/26/2016
Marine Electronics Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 1 year ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The TZL12F NavNet by Furuno says in its specifications that a 50/200kHz transducer is what it requires for fishfinder capability... and, that the transmission power for its sonar connection or transducer connection is either 600 W or else 1 kW.

You would really have to give me a brand name, at very least, or a vague description too (e.g. transom-mount, or not, etd.) for your transducer, for me to be sure that it could be used with the TZL12F... or not. The data given so far is not sufficient for me to say one way or another, yet.

As for an NMEA 0183 output being converted to NMEA 2000, that's easy, here are two converters that do that for you:

http://www.thegpsstore.com/Furuno-NMEA-0183-to-NMEA-2K-Adapter-P4465.aspx?gclid=CMzM2d7G988CFRVbhgodcYYGOQ

or

http://www.milltechmarine.com/Actisense-NMEA-0183-to-NMEA-2000-Gateway_p_317.html?gclid=CNGdyuDG988CFYxahgodvYAOJA

If this answers your question, please rate my answer. A five-star rating would be appreciated!

If you need more info, or have any comments, use Reply To Expert to respond.

Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
The transducer is a 1 KW 50/200kHZ model mounted in a through hull application. I want to make sure that it will connect directly for the fish finder features not just a sonar readout.

Which fishfinder features do you want to be sure will work?

And is the transducer a Furuno, or some other brand, please?

Russell H., Service Tech