Pete, Electronic Engineer
Experience:  Over 16 years of experience installing and repairing electronics.
30970729

I have a Raymarine RL80C 2004. The radar works fine, gps

Customer Question

I have a Raymarine RL80C 2004. The radar works fine, gps function does not perform. Is there a test for me to perform to check for the viability of the gps antenna. And if I need to replace the antenna, what antenna do I need? Please let me know. My e-mail address is***@******.***, and my phone number is(###) ###-####Thank you, Brian
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

The only real test you can do is connect another chartplotter to your GPS antenna.

If it doesn't work either, the either the antenna has a fault or there is a problem with the wiring.

Sometimes these problems are just caused by a loose wire.

If it does turn out to be a fault with the antenna, then you can replace it with any NMEA GPS Antenna, e.g. the Raystar 130:

http://www.amazon.com/Raymarine-Raystar-130-GPS-Receiver/dp/B007TY0G54/

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete,I appreciate your response. Outside of buying a new chart plotter to test the antenna, which isn't realistic, my thought was to disconnect the 4 cables from the dash unit. I think that the sea talk connection communicates with the gps antenna and if I knew which 2 of the 3 pins in the sea talk cable were connected to the antenna I could check the resistance to see if it is up to spec.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi Brian,

On the Raymarine. Orange is Rx Data +, Yellow is Rx Data -

Another test option would be to borrow a chartplotter from another sailor.