Marine Electronics

Marine Electronics Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Marine Electronics

I have a humminbird 550 sonar installed on my boat now would

Customer Question
I have a humminbird 550...
I have a humminbird 550 sonar installed on my boat now
would like to install a humminbird helix 5 sonar & gps
can I use the same cables
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Marine Electronics
5/8/2016
Marine Electronics Expert: Jason, Marine Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Hi Bob, my name is***** have 2 cables, power and transducer. On the power, the answer is maybe. The Helix 5 and the 550's power cable uses the same cable end which will plug into either unit. However, the Helix 5's cable does have a noise filter on it to prevent engine noise from entering the GPS. The 550's power cable does not. On the power cable you can try it and see if you get engine noise or not. If you do, then you would need to install the Helix 5's power cable. On the transducer, no, the 550 series and Helix 5's transducers are completely different. But lets say for sake of argument that the plug ends were the same on both transducers. Even if they were the same you would still not want to use the 550's transducer on the Helix. The 550's transducer is a single beam, 200khz frequency. The Helix's transducer uses down imaging, side imaging, uses dual beams, and uses 455khz frequency. This transducer is what gives the Helix series a much better and clearer view of both the bottom and the fish you are trying to find. If you used the 550 transducer on the Helix it would be like buying a brand new high definition TV, and then watching a VCR recording on that TV, the picture quality would be terrible. Does that all make sense to you? I think that should do it. But I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank. Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
how does the gps work on the helix 5
is there any connecting wires
By connecting wires do you mean a separate GPS antenna?
I'm not sure if that is what you meant or not. But the GPS antenna on this unit is intergrated into the unit, so there are no extra wires to run. All that needs to be wired is power/ground and transducer. Did you have any other questions on the issue?
Was there anything else Bob?
I'm not sure if you are having a hard time replying back or not. If you do have a further question on the units by all means please feel free to ask. If not, please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for my service. Thanks again,Jason
Hi Bob. Just checking in. Did you have any other questions on the issue?
Jason
Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic