Tan
Tan, MerCruiser Certified Technician
Experience:  40 yrs. experience with complete engine repairs both inboard/outboard and MerCruiser Certified Technician.
25721800

I have a 2003 johnson 50HP 2cyl outboard. When priming the

Customer Question

I have a 2003 johnson 50HP 2cyl outboard. When priming the fuel, you can see massive amounts of gas coming from what looks like a crack in the VRO pump. Obviously I need to replace the pump, however, here is where the issue is. I have found several refurbished as well as new VRO pumps for this outboard. The plug on my VRO is a 4 wire, however, the actual vro pump only has three wires going to it. The 4th wire comes out of the harness and circles around the motor and was screwed into the last wire on the wiring block of the engine. I don't see any VRO pumps with this type of arrangement. All pumps I have found have 4 wires from the VRO pump itself. Am I missing something?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Hello. My name is***** get the engine model number please?Is the fuel coming out a seam where the pump bolts together or is the pump actually cracked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't have the engine model number handy..I can only tell you its a 1993 Johnson/OMC 50HP. I have the pump off and I can't see the crack but it didn't look like it was coming a seal at the bolts. It looked as though it was coming from seam beyond the seals. Either way, I am replacing the pump, I just need some insight on the wiring issue.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok the wire you are concerned with is it gray in color?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No...the wires into the pump are black, white and grey. The wire that goes around the engine to the wiring block is purple.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The purple wire is ignition it should connect to the terminal block along with the other purple wires.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
It is possible that wire had an issue and someone has just replaced it with a new wire. All the engine harness diagrams have the purple wire in the harness.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does..but on all VRO pumps I see for that year and a johnson 50 there are four wire connections on the wiring harness ...4 wires from the pump into the harness....but my pump only has three wires..and then that purple one. So if I get a new pump, do I get a four wire and then cut and connect the purple one as it is or???
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Here is the kit you need this is for the replacement of your pump. http://www.wholesalemarine.com/vro-pump-kit-johnson-evinrude-omc-5007423.html?gclid=CjwKEAjw0pa5BRCLmoKIx_HTh1wSJABk5F_4Y3trwbSuleO8rw4bX8Y7OjRJkqiPx3fXsm4vPxjuFRoCkrnw_wcB#product_description_wrapper This will convert your engine to the 4 wire pump. Does this make sense?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok so basically, I have to order a 3 wire pump and then use the adaptor to get the purple to the ignition? This is apparently what was already done to the motor.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
No you order the 4 wire pump and use you existing wires to put in the new plug that comes with the pump. The plug in this pic is a 4 pin which will plug into the 4 pin plug of the new VRO pump. Now you can rebuild your pump if it is leaking fuel out of the seam where the 2 halves screw together. The rebuild kit is $150.00.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok I see what you mean yes you can do it that way.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Here is the kit that will convert your engine to the 4 wire pump wiring included. http://www.wholesalemarine.com/vro-pump-kit-johnson-evinrude-omc-5007421.html What you do with this kit is pull all the wires out of the plug on the engine then insert the wires into the new plug that comes with the kit. Then route the purple wire around to the terminal block and connect with the other purple wires.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I would be willing to do a rebuild but it doesn't appear to be coming from a seal...I think I will just order the new pump. We are sure that is the part number?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Ok be sure as what happens with these pumps is the fuel pump diaphram in the VRO breaks and pumps fuel everywhere. I will give you the link to the kit if you find the pump is ok and just needs to be rebuilt. http://www.maxrules.com/fixomcvro.html Scroll down to VRO pump repair kit. The kit you need is(###) ###-####if the pump isn't rebuildable.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
If you have bypassed the oiling part of the pump you don't need to worry about the wiring as the wiring is for the oil portion of the pump. Has nothing to do with the fuel pump part of the pump.In that case we can go to a conventional fuel pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The VRO is still working. I haven' t bypassed anything. So is the number(###) ###-####or(###) ###-####?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
(###) ###-####is the correct pump.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that looks like a 4 wire pump...Mine has the three wire with the additional purple wire around the engine..are we sure on the number?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is the 4 wire you can't get the 3 wire anymore. This kit converts your engine to a 4 wire. Here is the link that shows the original pump is replaced by the kit(###) ###-#### http://www.marineengine.com/parts/johnson-evinrude-parts.php?year=1993&hp=50&model=J50TELETB&manufacturer=Johnson&section=Fuel+Pump
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Please don't forget to positively rate my help as that is the only way I get credit for helping you.Follow up questions are always welcome at no extra charge even after you have rated on this subject. Thank you..........Tan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Tan, last question. I went back to the boat today and took some pics...they are of the actual wiring harness in the motor (not the VRO pump). The wiring harness as you will notice has the four wire setup (purple, black, grey and white). Therefore, I am assuming that since my old VRO only had a three wire setup, they did the loop back from the VRO connection with the purple wire to the screw down block. So, my question is if the new pump is a four wire pump, can't I just plug the four wire connection from the new VRO into the connection at the engine side and not run a purple jumper wire back to the wiring block since it is already plugged into the connection?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes apparently your engine has the updated wires already. So just get the new 4 wire pump and plug it in.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
awesome ...so that is the same number you gave me?(###) ###-####? Also, how do you feel about used vro pumps if they are tested. I have another question as well but I will start a new ticket for that one since it is semi related but not directly related to this.. I noticed an inlet in the engine bottom with nothing attached and a wire going no where either. Again, I will start another topic for that.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes that is the correct kit. Only if they guarantee the pump. If it fails on the oiling side it will cook your motor. I would be cautious of a used pump. Why would anyone take off a good functioning pump?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Good point...new is probably worth the extra $150.00. And I do need to start another job to ask another question correct?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Yes if it is unrelated to the VRO pump.Post a pic of the wires you are referring to please.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok..attached are pics of two things I noticed today. 1 is of a hose that appears to have been cut. No idea where it goes as it isnt' long enough to connect to anything but it was behind the VRO pump and appears to be going through a round hold in the engine to the other side of the motor. The other is an inlet at the bottom of the motor. It doens't have any cords close to it and it wasn't attached to the VRO. All those hoses (4 in total) are accounted for.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
That fitting should have a hose that runs from the carb cover bottom. http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/6niP99P2/IMG_2047.JPG In this pic can you back away and take a pic I can't tell what part of the engine that is?http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/z7hdRvSR/IMG_2048.JPG
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can tomorrow. It is coming from the side of the engine where the VRO was removed. Directly behind the starter and VRO.. not long enough to connect to anything that I can see.. I don't see a tube from the bottom of the carb...could the "cut tube" but what that is?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The fitting is where the drain hose coming of the front cover to the carbs goes. If you pull on that hose can you see where it goes?Tomorrow is fine it will be later tomorrow as I have to go out of town for the day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I pulled on it a bit and i can't see it from the other side...but I can see it going through a round hole to the other side.
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
I just can't place what it would be attached.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
and the inlet is a drain from the under side of the carb?
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
The nipple is a drain from the cover that goes onto the front of the carbs. There should be a small hose on the bottom of the cover #22 that connects to the nipple. http://www.marineengine.com/parts/evinrude-johnson-parts-diagrams/JOHNSON/48923.gif
Expert:  Tan replied 1 year ago.
Is that really a hose? It looks flat from the pic. http://f01.justanswer.com.s3.amazonaws.com/z7hdRvSR/IMG_2048.JPG