Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I had a Raymarine E7D and installed a P319 transducer this

Customer Question

I had a Raymarine E7D and installed a P319 transducer this winter. The E7D got stolen from the winter storage, so I am now looking at the newer es78. I am told I need a new transducer (the CPT-120), but access to the transducer is under the engine, so that is something I did after pulling the engine this winter. So, I am wondering if the P319 will work with the new es78 although I understand I dont get the newer chirp down vision functionality.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
Your eS78 has built-in CHIRP Sonar + DownVision capability.Though you can add an external sonar module, e.g. a CHIRP box, it does have built-in capability.I am not sure what connector your P319 has, but it is listed as industry standard so there should be no problem. And the eS78 has plenty of connection options for sure. No, you don't lose CHIRP nor DownVision capability. The depth may be limited to 900 ft (or 600 ft. for DownVision) but you have the capability. If this answers your question, please rate my answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your response. You say that I can add a CHIRP box, but that the es78 has built in capacity for this. What does that mean? Is the chirp box superfluous then?You also mention that I will obtain chirp and down vision capability with the p319 and es78 combo. From what you are describing it sounds like I retain all functionality with the p319 transducer. Are you sure about this?If you see the following link, Raymarine indicates p319 to be compatible with es97 and es127 but seemingly not the es78. I just don't understand if it won't provide full functionality or if it won't work at all. In my case that is a big difference.http://www.raymarine.com/view/?id=12402
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
You say that I can add a CHIRP box, but that the es78 has built in capacity for this. What does that mean? Is the chirp box superfluous then?- I don't know the details but the Specifications of the eS78 state clearly that CHIRP and DownVision capability is built-in to the eS78. You also mention that I will obtain chirp and down vision capability with the p319 and es78 combo. From what you are describing it sounds like I retain all functionality with the p319 transducer. Are you sure about this?- It is clearly so stated in the Specifications for the eS78, that the eS78 has built-in capability for Chirp and DownVision. Whether that requires a CHIRP box be added, is a question. I would think that it would work as stated. I just don't understand if it won't provide full functionality or if it won't work at all. In my case that is a big difference- The p319 is listed as a Sonar (non-DownVision) transducer appropriate for the non-CHIRP applications and the non-CHIRP display models. The other group of transducers are recommended for the eS78 on that Raymarine page, clearly, and do not include the p319 among the other group, of DownVision transducers. If you want DownVision, the Raymarine page is clearly stating, the p319 won't do, it seems.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My question is not whether the es78 has the chirp/down vision capability. It does. My question is whether the p319 will work with es78 providing depth, temperature and basic sonar capability or if it will not work at all. I am well aware that the p319 does not have down vision.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
The p319 is a standard sonar transducer. It ought to work just fine for standard sonar.
Expert:  Russell H. replied 1 year ago.
I think that the recommendation of a DownVision-capable transducer instead, is Raymarine's 'selling' a maximally-capable configuration that uses all of the capabilities of the display/MFD equipment (like the eS78).