Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki
44667847

Thinking about buying the ev100 autopilot talked to a marine

Customer Question

thinking about buying the ev100 autopilot talked to a marine installer who said he installed a few of the older onehundred and claimed that the unit would not work properly under 3 miles per hour. I troll at slower speeds 1.5 to 2.5 miles per hour will the new ev 100 work properly under those speeds. he is asking about 1000 to install the unit and I want to make sure I make the right choise. this will be going into an 18 ft lund boat.
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel, my name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Your installer is correct. It's not just this unit you are looking at, but pretty much all autopilots do not work well at low speed regardless of the size of the boat. Autopilot works by tracking the boats heading via a compass and if interfaced with a chartplotter, it uses a pre-programed GPS pathway as well. The problem with slow speeds is there is a delay in between when the autopilot gets its signal from the compass/gps, what the autopilot chooses to do as far as course correcting, and then what the boat actually does. This delay makes the boat constantly oversteer left and right, with the back of the boat wagging like a dogs tail. That is if there is no wind, and no waves. Wind and waves only make it worse. If you install the system it's basically going to be a waste as it is not going to perform the way you want it to. If you are going to be trolling and want an autopilot your better bet is to look at the Humminbird autopilot setup that interfaces with an actual trolling motor. It works much better because not only can It turn the direction of the trolling motor 360 degrees as needed (which the outboard can't do) but it can also speed up and slow down, and shut off and turn on, the trolling motor propeller at will. Which is also something the EV1000 can not do. With an EV1000 the outboards rpms are going to be whatever you set them to. The Humminbird system will work much much better for trolling. Does that all make sense to you?
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
I think that should do it. But I work for tips so I do want to make sure you are happy with my service before you go. If you had a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If not, Just in case you do not understand the way the website works (and some folks do not). You do have to put forth a positive rating in order for it to credit me for helping you. When ratings are not done, the website simply keeps your deposit and they will not credit me. The ratings box is located at the top of the screen. To rate, you must select the star you wish and also confirm it. Please let me know if you run into any problems or errors when trying to do it. If you do have a problem, or if you can not see the ratings box which is at the top of the screen. Please reply back "I rate Jason's service _______" and fill in the blank.Questions do not close out, so if you have to come back later on with follow up questions to the issue you still can even after doing a rating.Thank youJason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
It looks like you read my answer without replying back or leaving a rating for my service. Please keep in mind the website does charge you to speak with me. But they will hold your money and not credit me for helping you until you select a rating for me. If you have a further question on the issue by all means feel free to ask. If no, please kindly select a rating for my service. Thanks again,Jason
Expert:  Jason replied 1 year ago.
Hi Daniel, just checking in. Did you have any other questions on the issue?