Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

On an ICOM IC-F5021 radio....How can I assign one of the PO…

Customer Question
On an ICOM IC-F5021 radio....How...
On an ICOM IC-F5021 radio....How can I assign one of the PO keys to select any of the memory zones? I have assigned the different freq. to zones 1,2,3,and 4 but when I turn on the radio it goes to only zone 1.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Marine Electronics
2/21/2016
Marine Electronics Expert: Russell H., Service Tech replied 2 years ago
Russell H., Service Tech

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

To assign a Zone:

you may need to use the programming software (to be run on a computer) and a cable to connect the radio to the computer running the programming software.

See this for a probable programming-software-and-cable package:

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/radio-accessories-75/icom-radio-accessories-76/mobile-radio-accessories-81/icom-f5021-6021-accessories-884/

Note: if your only available computer is an Apple-type, then you may be out of luck: I don't see any concession to Apple computer users! in the form of a for-Apple as opposed to for-Windows package or software.

This does not answer my question at all. I'm sorry if I wasn't too clear with my question....I am asking how to do it not what I need . I'm using a PC with Windows 7, software is ICOMS's CS-F3020/F5010/F5020 series. I have no problem reading and writing into the radio. Eventhough I have separated and the printout reading of the radio shows it, all I'm able to select is zone 1. What I'm looking for is how can I program the radio so one of the PO keys is to be able to select a particular zone. Either zone 1,2 or 3.

So, please clarify:

- do you need to program a zone, where no Zones have been assigned?

- or do you need to select something other than Zone 1, and Zones have already been programmed?

Please clarify what this means:

Eventhough I have separated and the printout reading of the radio shows it

Thanks.

I have program the freq. into 4 different zones on the software, uploaded them to the radio and verified that the upload was good. The problem is that I need to be able to select the different zones from the front of the radio when operating . How do I get to choose the freq. that are in memory zone 2 or 3. there is no key "zone selecting key" on the radio's dash. This is what I need to know.

I've already read about that in the instructions: you get into a certain mode, then you use the arrow-keys up, or down, to select the zone, then confirm switching to that zone.

Have you already tried something like this? if so, what are the keys you use... and after the first key is pressed, what shows on the radio?

I hate to say it but my original question has not been answered at all. Please let me re-phrase again in a different way. On Page #3 of the Icom instruction Manual it gives an example "Of the "zone". Staff A ,Staff B, John Cindy etc... I have programed using the Icom software for zones 1,2,3,& 4. The reading df the memory channels verifies that the radio is properly programmed. When I turn on the radio I only get zone 1 and there are no provisions to access the other zones. How can I get them. I want to be able to select what zone I'm to work with.How do I choose the zone from the front panel of the radio? I hope this helps to get to the answer. Thanks

That clarifies the situation considerably. (Let me mention, I often hazard a partial answer, under uncertainties, with the awareness that it will need to be 'filled in' further in further postings to this case. And I'm aware that I have not yet given a complete answer... owing to uncertainties at my end of the process, as to what the exact situation is. But you have settled those uncertainties, and I apologize for not being able to give a more rapid answer.)

The answer, straight from the manual, is:

press the Zone key,

then press the [Ch up] and/or the [Ch down] key to select the desired zone.

The manual is not without uncertainties: do you hold down the Zone key then push one of the other keys? you know, both keys at once, the Zone key and the Ch up/down key ? it's possible, given the wording.

Then you'd select the Zone by letting go of the Ch up/down key, then letting go of the Zone key - more or less - if that was the case.

Let me know if that works - I'm understandably not quite sure at this point.

If this answers the question rightly, please rate my answer. Thanks, ***** ***** luck.

That is exactly my question. There is no zone key to be held down. One of the P0 keys must be programed as a zone key. How do I program said key? As far as software I am using the official, original ICOM programing and it has no provisions as to how to assign a P0 key

Is your radio new, or used? (I'm asking, just in case some legend identifying the ZONE key might have been rubbed off.)

Can you photograph the front panel of your radio, where all the buttons are, and post that photo file to me? if not easy, don't bother to try, but if possible and easy, it could make the process of answering your question much faster.

I would like to rate your service, but to do so it would not be fair for you haven't answered my question. The radio is a new one, to send you a photo of it would be the same as if you would get by google it in. There is nothing missing from it. What I need to know is what is the dealer code to program the 3 "P' keys is and how to aquire the input screen. This is what I understand from reading the operating manual that came with the set.

The dealer mode can be entered by enabling a tab (formerly hidden) in the programming software.

This page details how to do that:

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?format=go&jsonp=vglnk_145658900188910&key=7727ddee0cf08abd8368629a3842d590&libId=il5bdp20010009fy000DAjslxbhq2&loc=http%3A%2F%2Fforums.radioreference.com%2Ficom-land-mobile-radio%2F254915-icom-f5021-programming.html&v=1&out=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.uhfworld.com%2Fforum%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D42&ref=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com&title=Icom%20F5021%20Programming%20-%20The%20RadioReference.com%20Forums&txt=Maker%20Reserved%20CS-F30G%20Rev%201.0%20-%20UHFworld%20Forum

There is a warning to give out, however: dealer mode is as hazardous to use, as service mode in printers: if you enter wrong values, or in the wrong place, and are not sure what you are doing, the radio's function can be damaged or disabled. So it must be used with care.

Assignment of P keys is a function I have yet to find any information on, though. I am posting this because it is as far as I have gotten in response to your recent query, so far.

Russell H., Service Tech