Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

This is ***** *****. I'm looking solution to an error

Customer Question
Hello, This is *****...

Hello, This is ***** *****. I'm looking for a solution to an error message on a Raymarine DSM300. Getting amber code #8, Watchdog Timeout reboot. Trying to find out what is causing this, and how to correct.

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Used equipment, MFD is a classic C120, which I obtained with the DSM. I can see temperature, but nothing else.

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Marine Electronics
2/16/2016
Marine Electronics Expert: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan

Hello. Thank you for coming to JustAnswer.

Sorry for the delay and thank you for your patience. My name is Michael. I will be helping you with your question today.

Please let me know if there as any additional information that you think might be pertinent to your question. If I don't hear back from you, I'll provide the best answer I can based on the information you've given so far. You will still be able to reply with additional information or questions at any point during our conversation, and I'll revise the my answer accordingly.

I see temperature, nothing else. Is connected to a C120 classic. The dsm was previously connected to this MFD, I purchased both from previous owner. I attempted DSM reset uption on MFD, after brief pause, error message says lost connection with DSM. Fish finder stats indicate transmitted and received packets happening. It's connected via seatalk 2, those stats differ. Only 1 transmitted frame. Is receiving frames and increasing....

Interesting. The error itself will reset every 10 minutes, so we know it keeps raising the error with the same condition. But when you make a change, other than a reset, give it at least ten minutes to re-arm

Was it working for you at one point or is this happening from the first attempted use?

This is first attempt.
I have left it on for a long while, nothing seems to reset.

This is often the result of a voltage provlemproblem, so I would suggest checking things related to that.... Check your power connections. Like your Ground and power bus, sometimes these connections, if not good enough, won't give proper voltage to the DSM. Also have your batteries load tested if necessary. Also make sure the wire gage powering it is sufficient.

The short answer is that it is unlikely to be either of the devices - and almost certainly from drop in voltage.

Did load test on batteries. Results were satisfactory. Have 2 new group 31 gell batteries powering the electronics. Tested everything again yesterday, while batteries were on a charger also. Same non response from DSM. As far as I know, all electronics worked just fine when uninstalled by previous owner. Have a radar unit tat was included, it works correctly. Trying to figure out why I can see temperature, yet nothing else...

I think the only way you will know for sure is if you can somehow get your hands on another sounder, at least to test. Based on what you have uncovered so far, it sounds like a bad DSM.

Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer