Greg A.
Greg A., Engineer
Experience:  Engineer / Consultant
5229702

My unit does not connect to a satellite.

Customer Question

Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & Welcome to Just Answer,

Sorry to hear of the issue you are having with your device.

May I ask:
1) The FULL Make & Model Number of the device you are working with?
2) The AGE of the device?
3) WHEN this issue first began?

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

I see it has been a few days and I just wanted to follow up to see if you have any more questions concerning this issue or if the issue was resolved.

I look forward to any further questions or results that you may have.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Garmin nuvi 1450 Approx three years old.
It failed to connect two weeks ago in Nebraska
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again and thanks for that information.

Do you have the device with you NOW, and can do a bit of TESTING for me?

If so, the FIRST TEST is to power the device ON, and take it OUTSIDE, and without trying to enter a destination, leave the device on the MAIN SCREEN - where you should be able to see the "signal bars" at the top of the screen.

After a few minutes (or perhaps quicker), you should see a few GREEN signal bars. If that happens, then go to the View Map screen and see if the LOCAL DETAILED maps appear - where you are now.

Please report back to me if that happens - or something else happens - as I have MORE things to check on the device. And if you could let me know your CURRENT location (city & state is fine), that would help too.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
5047 Middle Valley Drive, Billings, MT Will check it Saturday when i have time. Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.

Very good. I should be here Saturday, so let me know what you see when you TEST the device. IF at all possible, try to have your device with you when sending your results back.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
it didn't do anything and now it has a red x over the bars at the upper right corner.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again,

Sorry I didn't see your response earlier.

OK - according to my notes, the bars at the upper-right of the MAIN screen are for the "battery status".

So is this red X at the upper-left of the MAIN screen?

If so, that is the signal bars, and the red X means that no satellite signal being received, and the device is in "simulate" mode (for indoor use).

If you can, turn the device OFF, take it OUTSIDE (or near a window), and power it back on, and watch those bars - to see if they start to appear without the X, and at least one of the bars needs to be GREEN, to tell us that the device has found and locked on a few satellites.

Please let me know if you can do that, and we can proceed.

Thanks

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I meant the upper left. The red x went away but nothing happened. On the view map screen a car sits in the middle with a question mark flashing. If I try and set a destination it always goes to Illinois and take me home from there. There is no satellite as it says acquiring which never happens.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.

Hi again and thanks for that.

OK - have you taken the device OUTSIDE - to a CLEAR AREA (no trees or tall buildings, etc.), and allowed the device to sit - to try to "lock on" to the satellite signals?

If you can do that, that would be great.

Also, if you touch (or touch & hold) on the "signal bars", that SHOULD bring up the DETAILED satellite signal screen on the device, perhaps showing separate signal bars for EACH satellite, and the "circle" with satellite numbers inside.

Can you do that for me (take device outside to clear area) and get the DETAILED satellite screen showing, and tell me EXACTLY what you see? I will see if I can find a screen shot (picture) of what you should see.

And by the way, do NOT try to enter any destination, and if you have one in there now, use the STOP button on the main screen to end that route.

Thanks

Expert:  Greg A. replied 2 years ago.

I found an image from a similar unit, that shows about what you should see on the Satellite Detail page, but yours may be a little different.

You may have to click on the image to see it.

Let me know if you see anything similar on your own device.

Thanks

(im)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did this and it brought up a page like your picture. There are the images on the left (5) but no blue bars.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Were you OUTSIDE - in a CLEAR AREA?

And were there ANY BARS at all - including any "empty" bars?

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
there are empty bars on the right side of the screen.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was in the middle of by half acre back yard, not near anything.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

OK - ANY bars are all - even empty ones - are a "good thing". Let me explain.

The EMPTY bars mean that the signals ARE being received, but the device has not "locked" on them yet.

SOLID bars mean that the signals ARE locked, and can be used for calculating the position of the device.

So what I would suggest for now is to take the device to that clear location, power it up and place it in a STATIONARY position (on a table or post) and let it sit on that satellite screen for AT LEAST 10 minutes. As the device finds MORE signals, they should start to show, and eventually turn to SOLID bars. After you have 3 or more solid bars, the actual coordinates SHOULD appear on the left side of the screen, showing that the device has found it position.

At that point, you should be able to go back to the main screen, and the View Map screen, and see your location. If you do NOT have DETAILED streets showing on the view map screen, then the maps file may need to be enabled or reloaded onto the device.

Please let me know if you can do that - and the results.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is raining here today. Will try this when it quits. When I turn it on, it always says loading maps
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for keeping me up to date.

By the way, you should also be able to take the device into a PARKED vehicle, mount it in the dash, connect it to vehicle power, and let it sit there (to be protected from the rain). It may take a little longer to lock on the satellites (because of the clouds & rain ), but it should still work.

I look forward to your results - when you have them.

Thanks, ***** *****

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I did that and it picked up a couple but didn't last to long. Will try again the storm moves on.
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Very good. If you are getting ANY solid bars on that DETAILED satellite screen, that is a good thing.

Once a few are solid (locked) more should start to appear - if you stay on that screen and wait for them.

I look forward to your further results - when you have them.

Thanks, ***** *****

(im)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It started working again. Will see if it works today.
Thanks
Expert:  Greg A. replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Thanks for letting me know its working again.

NOTE: Once these devices find and lock on the satellite signals in a particular area, the next time you power up in the same area and within a week or so, finding and locking on the satellites should be MUCH faster. This is because these devices "remember" where and when they were last used, and then know where to look for the satellite signals.

So as a TEST, I would recommend powering the device up, then go directly to the satellite signal detail screen (without looking for an address or destination), and WATCH to signal bars - to see how long it takes to find and lock on the signals. This will give you a good idea of what is a "normal time" for locking on in the future.

Please let me know your results - when you can.

If this has answered your question(s), please take a moment to rate MY service level (Excellent is my goal) so that I get credit for helping you with this question.
You should see some "smiley faces" or "stars" to do that, but please let me know if you do NOT see them or can not use them.

Thanks, ***** *****
--. .-
(im)