Joe
Joe, Marine Electronics Installer
Experience:  ASE, electronics, Marine mechanical and electronics, pwc, wiring, all around repair tech,
20508815

I have Humminbird 1197c gps fishing system serial

Customer Question

I have Humminbird 1197c gps fishing system serial 10051102-0030. All cables properly connected and have no corrosion. Approx. two years ago I upgraded the GPS and start to have problem with my 1197c - "transducer not connected" working in simulation mode. Today I power up my 1197c on trailer, it start to show me "shallow water alarm" but when I launch my boat it stop to work. What need to be done to fix the problem and bring the unit to original/manufacture settings.
Thanks,
Alex *************
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Joe replied 2 years ago.
Hello and good afternoon Alex,
Thank you for allowing me to assist you, my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you with your concern today.
You can first try resetting the unit, next check that the ducer connections are tight at the unit (often a customer never knows if a ducer has an extension cable and it can be the source of problems in some cases). Next would be checking the ducer to see if it or the main unit is the cause of the problem. What I am having trouble understanding is if you are saying it's working just nothing in terms of what the ducer reports to the unit or if your saying it started with that problem and now the main unit will not even turn on/respond, if that is the case then try unplugging the unit and reconnecting and checking power and ground, if getting good ground and power 12.6v+ then the main unit will either need to be sent in for repair or replaced. To test the ducer you unfortunately need testing equipment that is not really available per say, it is available but not in terms of what you would think of for testing, it is specialty equipment. For testing what is usually done is to plug in a known working transducer and this way you know if the problem is the main unit or ducer (if not anything else mentioned).
In terms of where i say to unplug, do so for 30mins or longer.
Thank you!
- Joe
Please rate my answer when ready. Bonuses are appreciated.
If for any reason you are not satisfied please reply back to me for further assistance to which I will be glad to help you. The rating system is only to rate me as an expert not the site or the product. If you have any problems for any reason please reply back and let me know.
Thanks again for using justanswer and have a great day!
If you need any further assistance you can reply back at any time for my help.
I'd be happy to answer any other questions you have even if not related.