Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki
44667847

Boat started ok...ran minutes....would not restart. Battery

Customer Question

Boat started ok...ran for 30 minutes....would not restart. Battery fully charged, plenty of fresh gasoline. Trim switch worked briefly then quit. Slight cleciking sound in outboard when key turned. Motor is Mercury 90 HP 2 stroke...1993 model. Do you need
more info?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

When you say it would not restart. Did the starter crank the engine over but it did not start. Or did the starter not crank the engine over at all?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Steve is name....I was not there when it happened...my grand-daughter was. She said motor tried to start 2 times....then nothing happened. I got there and checked battery connections...fuel........the trim worked for just two tried then quit.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hi Steve. So if you go to turn the key right now what happens? Is there just a clicking noise and thats it?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
engine doesnt turn over...faint click sound.....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
made sure throttle was in neutral....
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Clicking is coming from the engine I assume, yes?

Do you have a voltmeter and know how to take voltage measurments?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sorry...computer died
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
voltmeter is inoperative....
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Do you have a hand held volt meter is what I am asking, like a fluke?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no...it doesnt work.....I changed battery..but it still doesnt work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
would the trim motor be connected to the same circut as the starter motor?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

You have 1 of 2 problems.

1. Bad battery

2. Bad battery cable/poor connection

Will it work if you hook up a batter charger and leave it running?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I fully charged two different batteries.....tried both....neither worked...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
cable connections were checked....cleaned contacts...tightened connections
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

You can't say they are fully charged unless you have a meter. If a battery has a dead or shorted cell an automatic battery charger will tell you it's charged, even though it really isn't That is if the problem is a bad battery.

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

But if you are sure the batteries are good. And if you are sure the connections are good. Then the only thing thats left is if one of the battery cables themselves is bad. What happens on boat battery cables is moisture gets in behind the end crimp, where it can wick its way up the wire, and rot it from the inside out. Does that make sense?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I agree,,,,,battery charger ran for 2-3 hours on each......readout on charger said fully charged.....they are fairly new batteries
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It is possible,,,,,but boat started twice yesterday without problems.....ran for 30 minutes.....was stopped for 30 minutes before the problem occured...
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

The problem here is that without a meter there isn't anything we can test. With a meter we can have it figured out in 5 minutes. The only thing the trim and starter motor have in common are the cables and battery.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can try to hook up charger...Let me get a meter from my son in law and get back to you in about an hour....
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
will check back then
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

okay let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
can I call you when I get meter since I will be out on dock and not at laptop.....
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

The website does offer phone service, but it is an extra service at an extra charge. I would be the one actually calling you. Did you want to set up phone service, or did you want to stick online?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
lety me get meter first......son in law bringing it over at 4 15 or 4 30 EST today.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Okay. Just reply back when you are ready and we can go from there.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
while I am waiting for the meter, went out to boat and checked cables....red positive does have a crack in insulation....not sure if wire inside is damaged. However....when key is turned.....battery meter on dashboard shows about 12 volts.....lights work......horn works......but trim and motor dont. Do still hear faint click coming from engine... This is a big pontoon boat..so its hard to get to motor due to seating arrangements......still think it could be battery or cable?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

The clicking to me is the starter solenoid. i can't think of anything else on it that would click. But just for the heck of it, have you checked the 20 amp fuse yet?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is a fuse on the thin red wire from the battery (next to the heavy red cable) ...actually two fuse holders but 1 fuse. Fuse is ok....is the other just to hold an extra? how do I know the right one to use? .is that the one you want me to check?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have replaced two starters on this motor over its life time. This one is about 7 or 8 years old.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

There is another fuse on the engine. Locate the starter solenoid. And follow the small red wire that comes off of that. There will be an inline fuse on that wire.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok going ot to boat..
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

okay

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What if I use the manual pull cord I found in the engine cover. Never used it before. Will that help?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

No don't bother. were you able to find the fuse?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
no...red wire from box on top of engine runs behind flywheel...Cant see fuse...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
want me to send picture of what I think is solinoid?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Sure.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
sending picture to(###) ###-####
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

I don't know what you mean by that. You would upload pictures directly to the website. If you click this link below, this explains how to do it.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/help/how-do-i-send-photo-or-file-expert-0

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok....will send the correct way...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
get the pictures? 3 of them.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry no, nothing came through.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok have meter...checked battery...full 12 + volts. What do you want me to check?
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Follow the positive battery cable into the engine, it connects to the starter solenoid. Have a helper turn the key to start. I need to know if the solenoid is definitely clicking or not.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Let me try pictures again. ok will try that.
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
is the starter solenoid on top of the engine or at the bottom ofthe starter motor?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
must be on bottom...getting wife to turn key....
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Just follow the positive battery cable into the engine. It connects to the starter solenoid.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the click i coming from the box at the top next to the flywheel. Not at thebotom of the starter motor.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
hard to work on engine while boat in water......bouncing on waves...hanging over from dock.....not good....
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Okay, look at the starter solenoid, do you see a smaller red wire?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
there is a red wire at the botom of the starter motor....not connected to anything.....however, .I have.the red wire attached to the box on top where the click is coming from......
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

we've been at this for 2 hours and 45 minutes.... on a sunday. I don't have any more time to give you here, as I have been doing this all pro bono so far. I'm going to call it quits. Good luck.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Don't know what to say.....I assume you are working with 10 other folks.....I cant go any faster with boat in water....and I need o run in and out of house to dock........
Expert:  Tan replied 2 years ago.

Hello. My name is Tan.

Here lets do this disconnect the battery cable # ***** that connects to the start solenoid. Now touch that cable to # ***** does the engine crank? http://i.imgur.com/11K7zlZ.jpg