Marine Electronics

Marine Electronics Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Marine Electronics

My hds 5 likely gen 1 booted to a diagnostic screen. Only

Customer Question
My hds 5 likely gen...
My hds 5 likely gen 1 booted to a diagnostic screen. Only way out of that was to boot to burn in mode
Burn in comes up and goes away to accept. Asks about sim. I answer no. All functions seem to work but no settings save from power cycle to power cycle and burn in mode reappears each power cycle. I have tried soft reset and hard reset
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Marine Electronics
No background map is visible on chart function. But location seems correct. Forgot to mention. No map visible. Tried changing datum section to a different "map"
Answered in 1 day by:
7/26/2015
Marine Electronics Expert: Michael Hannigan, Engineer replied 2 years ago
Michael Hannigan
Hello. My name is***** can help you with your question.
The Sim will be entirely separate from the maps.
If it is asking you about simulation, that is something that you would definitely want turned off or it will act in a way that is entirely unexpected. It is possible to simulate routes without actually traveling them so you can become familiar with them first and I suspect that's what it's asking you about – it may be warning you that you are in simulation mode. If that's the case, just go to the menu and disable simulation. If it's something else, let me know and we can go from there.
I just wanted to check in with you and to see how you made out with the map. Please a me know if you need anything else. I would appreciate a moment of your time to rate my level of service. Thank you. Mike
The unit is not in simulation mode. Unfortunately I had to go back to work and only get to my boat on weekends. The unit still boots to "burn in mode" but then enters normal operation. The entire unit appears to work but no settings hold from power up to power up. The chartplotter / map is still not visible but a "trail exist with a white background and the current GPS fix appears correct. I plan on updating the software with version 4.xxx when my micro sd card arrives. I tried changing datum sets to see if map would refresh to no avail.
INFO tab works fine
SONAR tab works fine
CHART tab shows no mapJJC
So based on that I would say that there's something wrong with the SD card, which should sounds like will be fixed once you get the card and update the software. Let me know I make out.
I ordered the micro sd card from ebay and expect it to arrive in 10 days or so. I'll let you know how a software update goes. There is no sd card installed permanently. I assume a software corruption since the unit seems to be working.
JJC
Yes, I agree with that. That's why I'm hoping that the software update will overwrite whatever is causing the problem and bring it back to correct functionality.
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan
Michael Hannigan, Engineer