Michael
Michael, Technician
Experience:  Over 25 years experience in the field of electronics repair, TV, VCR and computer repair.
11519491

HiI have a Raymarine St1600 + fully interfaced on my 31 ft

Customer Question

Hi
I have a Raymarine St1600 + fully interfaced on my 31 ft Wilbur downeast. power boat. I think it is original 2000. Always worked fine, but today it started turning radically to port when I engaged it. The rudder reading is also way off. Although it recognizes a waypoint setting, it just goes in left circles, and appears to run hard. Connections seem fine, but there is a yellow blinking light on top of the interface computer
Allan. in Nantucket, Ma
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Allan, I'm sorry to hear that. This is caused by logic problem in the head unit.You could try a reset to see if that cures it. It will work if the unit simply glitched in the memory section.On your unit you must remove power from the unit from its supply so no power is going to it at all, some of these even with t same model # ***** a back up memory battery, if yours has this, please also remove that as well.Then wait 45 minutes, next you can reinstall the battery(ies).Then turn power back to the unit and wait 30 seconds, then turn it on and when you try the unit again the problem may be gone;-)This works about half the time. If it works awesome. If not let me know, I we can go further at that point if you need. Please rate kindly at this time and you can contact with me anytime after that there is no cost to rate;-)Thank youTech Michael
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I tried it to no avail- it is not giving me the rudder position also. Is the rudder indicator unit bad? I have check all of the electrical connections
Thanks
Expert:  Michael replied 2 years ago.
Hi Allan,I would try the rudder sensor first because this can be either the head unit or the actual driving mech. Its cheaper by far to simply replace the components at the rudder drive train.I will stick with you in case you need further information, but please rat emy service at this time no cost for that;-)ThanksMike