Richard, Customer Service
Experience:  Over 20 years fixing Electronically devices
32989067

I bought a boat with a simrad 40 chart plotter, the thing is

Customer Question

I bought a boat with a simrad 40 chart plotter, the thing is dead, acording to the owner a power spike went through it, can this item be repaired?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Richard replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question, my name is ***** ***** I look forward to assisting you.
Please note, click on Reply to Expert to reply to me, a rating is only needed when we are finished.
If a power spike went through it and it is not powering on at all, and there is no sign it is even detecting power, it will be the mainboard that has faulted and would need to be replaced. This is the main part of the unit, and to replace this is going to exceed the value of purchasing a new unit which is why no one offers to repair this.
If you are able to source a secondhand one (I checked and could not find any) and the mainboard is functioning ie: being sold due to a cracked screen, then you can remove the board from this and put it into the Chart plotter. Else you will need to purchase a replacement plotter sorry.
If you would like any additional information or assistance, please do not hesitate to let me know.
Else if you can take a second to rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen then submit, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you