Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

I have a hds 5 installed in the dash of a veranda pontoon.

Customer Question
Just purchased boat today and...
I have a hds 5 installed in the dash of a veranda pontoon. Just purchased boat today and had just got screen set up the way I liked it when it went to vertical lines (like a tv with bad problems). Checked connections on the back of the unit and found the one all the way to the right was a bit loose. Tightened it up and the screen came back up but had no gauges or gps position. Tried hard and soft resets 2x each and every time it comes back up its a little different but never right, and the color is off a little bit. Is there anything I can try other than going to a service center for warranty work?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Marine Electronics
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/17/2015
Marine Electronics Expert: Charles, Marine Tech replied 3 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Tech
Hello, my name is***** you for allowing me to assist you today. Your question may take more that one post to get an accurate answer.
Have you tried to adjust the platelet , the color or the contrast on the unit?
No. I don't think that's the issue since I can't get any of my data (temp, rpm speed, trim position or fuel) like I did before the crash.
What engine do you have on the boat?
How about the engine gauges, do they work?
It's a yamaha 250 SHO. Don't have and gauges its all integrated into the unit
Ok,
Remove the engine hood, and check the fuses in the engine. The one for the bus could be blown and that is causing the issue. Also check the main fuse panel on the helm of the boat. One could be blown there as well.
It's everything on the lowrance, not just engine data. No GPS, speed, or depth. Sometimes one thing will arbitrarily work between resets or powering on/off.
What software version does the unit have?
Not sure. Had to come inside and get kids cleaned up for bed. Starting to look like a trip to the service center
Well you can look at the version, it should be version 4. If not, Lowrance would tell you to upgrade it first, then try the unit. After that they would want to verify that you have 12V to the plug on the unit. if those were good and it still did not work, they would want you to remove it from the boat and send it in.
Thanks. Hopefully doesn't need upgrading since it left factory this morning.
Remember, that it left a boat dealership this morning, not Lowrance. You don't know how long this unit sat around before it was installed in your boat. I know that in my shop, we check to see if everything has the latest software before it goes out the door.