Jason
Jason, Marine Mechanic
Experience:  Degree in Marine Technology, Also Certified with Mercury Marine, MCM, MIE, VP, Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki
44667847

1998 Evinrude 115 not charging battery

Customer Question

1998 Evinrude 115 not charging battery
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** am I speaking with?

Couple of questions back to you. First is what is the model number on the engine?

When you tested the stator, what wire colors did you test, and what did you get for a reading?

When you had the flywheel off, did you happen to see if any of the flywheel magnets were cracked?

When did it last properly charge the battery, is there a history to this?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
This is Keith, HVAC Mechanic and part time outboard mechanic owner McGowan's Marine. Mod EX115HXEUA tested yellow wires,I forget but it was what the book said for reading, also tried 2 different stators also tested with ac doom when running and puts out 40 vac or so. I also tried 2 different flywheels and the magnets are embedded not glued on. Ran fine until my customer used a deep cyle battery and rewired the ignition wiring himself. I had the main harness disconnected while testing and starting with jumper wire
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If I am not mistaken usually you will get slightly higher than standing voltage when motor is revved up some. like it was reading 11.7 vdc and running no change even when I goose it a little
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Hi Keith, can you double check that model number for me. EX115HXEUA is not a valid model number.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK I will tomorrow am I am in NJ 10pm now
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
No problem, there are no time limits here. Tomorrow is fine.
Best,
Jason
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, it is XE115HXEUA and I saw it listed as 1997 on boats dot net. I am heading out for 2 hrs and will check back and then I will have time to do some more tests. this one has me stumped so there is something I am missing...Keith
Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Hi Keith, got it. This one shows as having 1 of 2 possible styles of votlage regualtors. The first type is a small round gray disc, the other type is larger, and sits under the flywheel and is water cooled. Which style do you have?

Next, turn on your meter and stick it on the battery. Run the engine up to 1500 rpms. Set the meter to DC voltage, what does it read? Set the meter to AC Milivolts, what does it read?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK the larger volt reg is what I have , have 11.7 dcv before starting and never changes at any rpm

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Is the red wire on the volts regualtor connected to the same starter solenoid post where the main battery cable connects to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yup

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Disconnect the 2 yellow wire leads that go from the stator into the votlage regulator and check the resistance on the stator side of those wires. What do you get for a resistance reading?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

testing now

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Okay
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

.7ohms

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Does your meter have a diode test function?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

did not get your answer

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Does your meter have a diode test function, that is what I had asked.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I have a stinger (cheap) automotive 3514 meter does not look like it but I can do ohms both ways

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Does it have a continuity function where it beeps if you touch the 2 leads together?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No but my fluke does

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Okay do you want to grab that? Chances are your fluke will probably have a diode funciton as well
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

looking at it now fluke 323 does not look like it

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Turn your meters dial to the omega symbol. Touch the meter leads together. Does it beep?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

yes I like Jason we are on track if he is still available

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Disconnect the red wire from the voltage regulator. You are going ot be concerned with 3 wires, the 2 yellows on the regulator, and the read. And you are going ot do 4 measurements. Stick the red meter lead on the red wire, and the black meter lead into a yellow wire. Does the meter beep? Reverse the 2 meter lead. Does it beep? Do the same again on the other yellow wire. Let me know what it does.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

No beep on the fluke, the automotive gives me 1.4 ohms one way and not the other I followed this in the Seloc book and both the old and new CDI regulator are the same reading

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.

Disconnect the battery and hook up another (new if possible) battery to the outboard and re-run it. Is there any change?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Nope tried that have a new DEKA battery and tried another no change. I am glad I am not the only one puzzled

Expert:  Jason replied 2 years ago.
Everything tests good. I'm out of ideas. I will opt out.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

OK thanks Jason, how do I get more help?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I found the problem, the purple wire needs 12 v gin on for the volt reg to work. Do I still have to pay if I did not get the answer I needed?