Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I just got a boat w garmin 400c. Seems like everything works

Customer Question

I just got a boat w garmin 400c. Seems like everything works but it won't show depth. Transducer is mounted inside boat close to gas tank. Any advice?
Category: Marine Electronics
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
First, check that the transducer is properly and firmly mounted in place.
Second, check the connection. Undo all connectors en route from the sonar transducer to the Garmin 400c. Scrub all connectors with a clean dry stiff brush (e.g. an old toothbrush), then wipe all metal parts with a clean dry lint-free rag cloth until bright, then re-connect firmly.
After which... since the boat is new to you, I can't ask whether the transducer ever worked, mounted where it is, before. But it's worth asking, does the sonar transducer work when the engine is Off ? it's just a thought.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes. Sonar works when the engine is off.
Have you done the opening, scrubbing, wiping down, and reconnecting of all connectors en route to the sonar transducer, plus inspected the cabling en route to it also ?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I couldn't find a good place to undo connectors.
On the Garmin unit's jacks themselves, then. If there are no other connections, check and clean those.