Marine Electronics

Marine Electronics Questions? Ask a Technician for Answers ASAP

Marine Electronics

I have a hummunbird 958c with version 4.970 mmc/sd card version...

Customer Question
I have a hummunbird 958c...
I have a hummunbird 958c with version 4.970 mmc/sd card version... ill put the trolling motor which has the transducer built in it in the water ... it will show depth and be fine for awhile then all of a sudden it goes haywire showing 250 ft when I can see we are at 30ft,,, sometimes it stays like that for awhile I move around and then suddenly it comes back ,,, other times I try to reset and it wont power off... I have to unplug the unit it comes back on and then its fine again ,, sometimes it stays ok sometimes its the same old crap very frustrating any ideas before I send back to factory or do u know of a good repair center
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Marine Electronics
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
5/5/2015
Marine Electronics Expert: Charles, Marine Tech replied 2 years ago
Charles
Charles, Marine Tech
What trolling motor do you have the unit attached to?
Minn Kota 101
But it acts up when it's not even running
Fortex?
What's a fortex Its a 2007 model
the name in the side of the motor.
I downloaded new software and installed today gonna try tomorrow see if that fixes it.
That is one possible issue for sure.
I'll let ya know tomorrow thanks
Great, If it does have the US2 transducer there is a fuse that could be blown on the trolling motor and that could cause the issue that you are having..Even when it is not running.
It's working much better I still get a little interference but I'd like to know more about that fuse you were talking about and also it's a Maxum Pro
Ok,
remove the head cover of the trolling motor. It is held on be 3-4 screws. then you will see a small black fuse holder on a small brown wire. Check that fuse to make sure that it is still good and not blown.
I took off three screws and the only thing that was there was like a round Disc I couldn't see any brown wire I could not pull out far Are u sure its a maxumm pro model
If you have the US2 transducer on the trolling motor, there is a brown wire in the head. The fuse was added in 2008.
How old is the depth finder?
It came with the boat the boat 2007 is there a serial number on the trolling motor which would help you out
I have the correct diagram for the motor. I was thinking of a 2008.
Is this a new issue with the unit or have you had it for some time?
Do you have a ferrite core installed on the power cable of the 959?
The unit came with the boat at the boat for little over 5 to 6 years it's always done that were just bounces up and down with the dad so that's always been an issue but since I've installed the new software it doesn't seem to be as bad. I do not know what a ferrite core or is it whatever came with the boat. I don't think you can take that trolling motor head apart can you access everything from the other side where the prop is.
The core would be in the power line going to the 958. It would be a large round disc about 3" from the plug-in.
Yep it's there
Ok great,Humminbird would tell you to install a second core ring. You can get one by contacting Humminbird directly. You will need to remove the power line from the boat at the connections for it. Wrap the line around the core 6 times and then reinstall the power line in the boat. That should take care of the issue. It looks like the top one is this pic.
http://www.tjskl.org.cn/images/czbda7c9-pz1bd65a0-ferrite_core_toroidal_cores.html
I was looking at my other hookup the unit in the front of the boat does not have a core ring
It should look like this one here,
http://www.humminbird.com/Products/PC-11/
It does not have a ring I'll get one and try it.
The one that I sent from Humminbird is built in to the cord. Most any marine dealer would carry one.
Charles
Charles
Charles, Marine Tech