Marine Electronics

Marine electronics questions? Ask a technician for answers ASAP

Our Tridata display has lost log, boat speed & Water temp,

Customer Question
it just has dashes where...
Our Tridata display has lost log, boat speed & Water temp, it just has dashes where the numbers were. How do we find if the problem is with the transducer or the cabling?
Many thanks, "Holy Cow"
Submitted: 11 years ago.Category: Marine Electronics
7/21/2011
Marine Electronics Expert: Josh C, Marine Electronics Installer replied 11 years ago
Josh C
Josh C, Marine Electronics Installer

Welcome to Justanswer!

The first things to check would be - Make sure corrosion has not gotten into the connector at the main unit, and at the transducer - if all of the pins are intact, you will need to test the cable.

Normally in a situation like this, I would suggest checking continuity between all pins at each opposing end of the cable (at the transducer and the main unit) - this will verify if the cable is still good - However, without the right equipment, this can be a bit tricky.

If you have a mulit meter with a continuity tester, and a partner to help you out (along with some 17' test leads) this is an easy test.

Otherwise, about the only way to test it would be to substitute a new transducer in place of the old one.

If you have any more questions, or need assistance, I can try to talk you through testing...Just let me know!

-Josh

Josh C
Josh C, Marine Electronics Installer
OK thankyou for that, we can dig up a multi meter, but I'm not sure about testing contacts on the transducer end- it appears to be sealed..... Then it goes into a conduit....

what make and model number is XXXXX unit -( should be on the main unit) I will see what I can pull up on this end.

Will check & send in a few hours.

K